Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Widening stocker steelies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
This is my thoughts for getting the classic look with the best performance. Take a set of stock steel wheels the ones that take the hub caps and have them widened as much as possible to fit under the stock fenders. But how wide can I go and how much back spacing is required?

Any thoughts? or ideas? Does anyone know of a place in PA or the east coast that widens wheels?
Oh and does anyone have apic of a stocker steelie with a hub capthat the wheel is black and the hubcap ischrome?
rick 918-S
"Z" just had a set widened for his kit car. But thay may have been VW and they were done on the other coast.
nocones
I've got a set, just like the ones on the 914 in your avatar, widened to 7".
You can have them for $100 + shipping.
jsteele22
QUOTE (nocones @ Apr 4 2006, 09:35 AM)

Michael,

Did you have these done ? Do you have any idea what the cost was ?
Leo Imperial
Jenny has them on her car. I think it looks great, but I prefer that look without the hubcaps. Thats just my taste. $100 for a set sounds like the way to go.
Trekkor
7" wide wth a 5" backspace.

KT
jasons
jbugs sells widened chromies. Look down the page. Not sure if they fit under stock fenders though...

Link to JBugs
Mueller
QUOTE (nocones @ Apr 4 2006, 09:35 AM)

Mike, I'll buy the rims if Jaiden does not want them....which steel rim are they?

thanks
Mike T
I have 4 of the steel 1975 2.0 style wheeld widened 2 @ 7.5" & 2 @ 8.5". the material is added to the outside.

They are in good shape. Still have 23x9-15 Goodyear slicks mounted. The tires are too hard to be usefull.

I am located in Brackney, PA. About 45miles North of Scranton, PA. Here is a pic of the 7.5" I think.

Mike T
Jaiden
The ones in my avatar are Empi's

Can you post up a pic of wheels you have?

I have a set of the later steelies but They don't take hub caps.

I just want to make sure that the ones you have will fit a stock fendered teener and will take the early hubcaps.

PM me the details and a shipping price to 18360

Joe Bob
I decided to NOT get the widened ones but went with the www.jbugs.com models.....they are the only guys that sell a pre made 4x130 steel wheel in 15x7 and 8. They also have an EMPI nipple hubcap that fits.

The 7 inch up front did not fill the wheel well so I went to http://www.marksbugbarn.com/ and got a 1 inch 4x130 spacer that uses extra long lugs bolts for $60. THAT was a real bitch finding as well.
Joe Bob
BTW...it's a spacer...not an adapter...the studs are 17mm hex heads and are identical in the cup to the 19mm VW steelie studs they replaced.

The lug nuts are 1 inch longer than the ones they replaced...other than being a bit of a handfull starting them in the threads with a 205/50 tire and a heavy 7 inch wheel they work fine....
Jaiden
The wheels from Jbugs are the wrong offset for use with the stock fenders otherwise I probably would have ordered some. I like the look of the wheels but want to use a black background and a chrome cap. I haven't ssen any pictures of that set-up but I think it will like just right for my ride.
r_towle
u need a bigger spacer...in the front...

Rich
Joe Bob
QUOTE (r_towle @ Apr 5 2006, 06:38 AM)
u need a bigger spacer...in the front...

Rich

That's a pic BEFORE the addition of the spacer.... dry.gif

......it's been raining like a mofo for the past week. I JUST got them on yesterday and NOW they fill the wheel well completely.

I would have to measure them but the 8s have quite a bit more outboard wheel that the one inch diff than the 7 does....
r_towle
ok, cool.
I like the look btw...much better than franky..

Rich
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Apr 5 2006, 06:36 AM)
The wheels from Jbugs are the wrong offset for use with the stock fenders otherwise I probably would have ordered some.  I like the look of the wheels but want to use a black background and a chrome cap.  I haven't ssen any pictures of that set-up but I think it will like just right for my ride.

I'd bet with the 4x130 spacer, the 7 would work......

BTW....what's stopping you from calling JBUGS and asking if they would have their supplier make up some 7s or eights in the offsets needed?
Joe Bob
QUOTE (r_towle @ Apr 5 2006, 06:46 AM)
ok, cool.
I like the look btw...much better than franky..

Rich

Glad you approve..... cool_shades.gif

Totally makes my day..... mueba.gif
r_towle
You should probably just go back to bed, the rest of the day will probably go down hill from that...

R biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Posted by Cooley on Rennlist....

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
gives the standard offset in a neat little KEEPER chart.
I never question anyone's ability. I only try to direct the quest with a
link that knows more than this old dummy.
BTW, that link was referenced by Mickey Thompson.
Joe Bob
From Jbugs.....they will make them for ya....

Hello Mike,

I just spoke to out manufacturer and they can make both the 15 X 6 and 15 X 7 wheels with the 4.75” backspacing. The wheels won’t be listed online but they are now in our system. The part numbers are 914-WH-15X6 and 914-WH-15X7. The wheels cost $124.95 each. They are VW chrome centers (slotted) with a chrome wheel. The wheels are not listed online so any orders would have to be called in. The wheels are, as the other deep dish wheels, a special order item. Production takes any where from a week and a half to sometimes 4 weeks. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Sam Mebane

California Pacific / JBugs
Aaron Cox
way to go mikey! smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
good job Mikey....I think those 7's will fit, but you'll want to run nothing larger than a 205...
Jaiden
Thanks so much guys!!!

Now do you think the 7" x 4.75 back spacing with a 205 wheel will fit in the front without having full lock issues?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Apr 5 2006, 12:04 PM)
Thanks so much guys!!!

Now do you think the 7" x 4.75 back spacing with a 205 wheel will fit in the front without having full lock issues?

not a prob... i have 7'' fuchs up front with 205's... and no issues...

some people have gone with 8's upfront with a minor roll...

PIC... 7's en frente.....
user posted image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Apr 4 2006, 06:00 AM)
But how wide can I go and how much back spacing is required?

set of custom steel wheels i had on my '74 super beetle.
8" x 15 with 245/45 and 9" x 15 with 285/40

they would fit a 4-lug 914 ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Apr 5 2006, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Apr 4 2006, 06:00 AM)
But how wide can I go and how much back spacing is required?

set of custom steel wheels i had on my '74 super beetle.
8" x 15 with 245/45 and 9" x 15 with 285/40

they would fit a 4-lug 914 ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

what kinda motor to break them tiars loose? cool_shades.gif
nocones
Oops,

Sorry, I've been away from the computer (REALLY busy at work!).
The wheels are just like the ones that MikeT posted the photo of, only (as mentioned by Trekkor) they are 7" with 5" backspacing.
I didn't have the work done. I bought them many moons ago for a set of track wheels to go with my first 914. I never did end up using them so they just collect dust in the shed.

Lemme know. smoke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 5 2006, 11:26 AM)
what kinda motor to break them tiars loose? cool_shades.gif

2.0L TIV with FI. 100HP. that car was pretty quick!

cool_shades.gif Andy
nocones
For those interested photos of one of the wheels are now in my meager little blog. cool.gif
Jaiden
nocones,
Those are the style I already have and do not use hub caps so I will have to pass.

What I wanted to accomplish is have a retro look (early 70 car) with a better performing tire size.

Hopefully someone else will grab them up.

Trekkor
Just so everyone is clear.
Wheel measurements are taken from bead seat to bead seat, not edge to edge. wink.gif

A 5 1/2"-6" rim can measure 7" if the tape is put in the wrong place.

The guys at the tire shops have those big adjustable calipers.

If those steelies are 7", I want them.

KT
Trekkor
I bought them with the Autopower roll cage.. thanks again mike.

The backspace is actually 5.25" compared to the 4.875" on my other 7" steelies.

This 3/8" improvement may allow the use of 225's.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.