Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Planning Chicago->Toronto roadtrip 4/20-25
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
My wife and I smlove2.gif will be driving driving.gif from Chicago to Toronto for 4/20 - 4/25. (In my trusty '96 Cherokee, not a 914 sad.gif )

We're trying to plan out stops and sites etc, as well as figure out what we want to do/see in and around Toronto.

Rough plans include driving through Michigan (Ford museum? Motown?) on the way there, then swinging by Niagara Falls on the way home and coming around the opposite side of Lake Erie.

In Toronto, there's a bar (Orbit Room?) owned by Alex Lifeson of the band Rush rocking nana.gif aktion035.gif that I want to check out. Also, there is a reptile conference (another of my hobbies froggy.gif ) on Sunday 4/23 that we plan to go to.

What else should we do? Restaurants? Museums? History?
GaroldShaffer
My mom is from Kitchener Ont which is about 1 - 1 1/2 hours from Toronto. So your Route is 94 east to Detroit then the 401 to Toronto?

If you stop in Detroit the Ford Museum is just off 94 (follow the signs) along with Greenfield Village. You could easly spend a long afternoon there.

I think Old Fort Henry is on the Canada side of Niagra Falls? I was there when I was a kid. In Toronto check out the CN tower and Stadium where the Blue Jays play. The stadium has a hard rock cafe in it where you can watch a ball game. We were there last summer and watched the team do hitting practice while we ate.

You can find other things there at this LINK
drewvw

Toronto is an awesome city, there is a ton to do there. CN tower, they have a good chinatown, plenty to do. You can just roll up there and grab a paper and you'll be good to go.
erikstoll
hockey hall of fame
balljoint
Make sure you take a drive across the Gardiner expressway at night. Puts you several stories up in the heart of the city with all the Purdy lights. The domed baseball stadium is now called the "Roger's Centre" formerly the SkyDome.

Also neat are the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum). AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario). Metro Toronto Zoo. All fun to compare with the Windy City versions.

balljoint
See?user posted image
balljoint
Metro Toronto Zoo
balljoint
Hockey Hall of Fame
balljoint
When you are heading to Niagara Falls you will be passing through the premier wine region in Ontario. You may wish to take a tour of some of the wineries.
balljoint
Also in Niagara Falls.

dum dee dum

BTW RUSH was an awesome band......right up until Geddy Lee started taking singing lessons........... wacko.gif
jimmyjazz
You didn't indicate where in Toronto you will be staying.

ROM and AGO are both under heavy construction right now. As such there exhibition space is somewhat limited.

Nice areas to visit / dine include Queen St W. (young trendy and hip).

College St (hip but a bit older)

Distillery (a bit older still).

Kensington market and Chinatown(s) are interesting for a walkaround, some shopping and some eating. Same may apply to Yorkville (not so much for eating, but high end shopping).

Blue Jays are ok if you really like baseball, but to me the skydome (Rogers) is a total bore compared to Wrigley.

Jim
BigDBass

We got to Toronto Thursday night. We came in over the bridge and man was that a neat sight. We're in the Metropolitan Hotel.

We went to the Henry Ford Museum (and Greenfield Village) in Dearborn on the way. I'll have some (mostly American) car pics to post when we get home.

So far we've been to CN Tower (around dusk to see "light" and "dark" views. Night view was more dramatic.), Toronto Zoo, and done as much walking around as "preggers" can tolerate. It's rainy today, so we're going to head inside, either to the Royal Musem or the Science Center. Had a fantastic dinner at a random Chinese restaurant last night.

I've seen a surprising number of Porsches. No 914s. Several late Carreras and a Boxter. Saw a very nice VW Bug in the parking lot of Toronto Zoo and another decent one on the road.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and we're trying to hit as many of them as we can!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.