Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: DoubleCab Auction Ending Tomorrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
Vanagon Doublecab Diesel

just stumbled across it.. don't know the seller

user posted image
guiltless
My dad's got a 1968 one 'o thems that he's lookin to sell. Except his isn't a diesel, his has a 180 hp 2.7 from a 911s with a 915 tranny. That sumbitch hauls. White on top, blue on the bottom if anyone is interested.
Aaron Cox
OMG!!?!>!>! does he need a kidney?!!!

ive been for a ride ina 3.2 bus.... thing could almost wheelie....

lemme know if he needs a servant for life laugh.gif
Andyrew
"series9 with $4000 top bid, reserve not met"

lol laugh.gif
Series9
I want that thing REALLY BAD.
sk8kat1
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif -- sorry talkin bout the '68
MarkV
The same seller has this:

http://www.ubidzmall.com/cgi-bin/auction/a...item=1144392884
guiltless
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Apr 5 2006, 09:38 AM)
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif -- sorry talkin bout the '68

I'll post a few tonight when I get home.
Mueller
that has 3.6 swap written all over it wub.gif

damn...still not hit'n the res. with $4K???

what do these things sell for???

is the guy crazy or is that a real price??
Brian Mifsud
Doublecabs are the coolest and were never imported into US (at least not for the Vanagon family of transporters). The rarest are the FWD versions with the 16" wheels, like these:
user posted image
16" Synchros

Doublecab versions of the first transporter (thru '67 model year, or the "MicroBus") commonly go for over $10K in decent shape..

I like this variant:
user posted image
rich brennick
Pretty sure he started his own auction site and doesn't "give" anything away.
Has neat stuff, though.
Good Luck!
Rich
racerx9146
be careful on the paperwork concerning his vanagons as far as registeration/licensing. These where never sold in the US and if you dont have the VW Canadian DOT import statement it can be tricky....especially in California..

Here is a pic of mine at a 914 swap in the bay area a few years ago...

user posted image
Series9
QUOTE (racerx9146 @ Apr 5 2006, 12:33 PM)
be careful on the paperwork concerning his vanagons as far as registeration/licensing. These where never sold in the US and if you dont have the VW Canadian DOT import statement it can be tricky....especially in California..

A great thing about living in NM.

It's extremely easy to title a vehicle. If you have any ownership paperwork whatsoever, they will title it.
jasons
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 5 2006, 09:49 AM)
that has 3.6 swap written all over it wub.gif

damn...still not hit'n the res. with $4K???

what do these things sell for???

is the guy crazy or is that a real price??

Usually big money. $4k would be stealing it BIG TIME. Syncro DOKA's command as much as $20k

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det...l.php?id=293178
montoya 73 2.0
i sold my 67 crew cab when i moved here to Oregon 2 years ago. the wife didn't like that it was sitting in the barn "doing nothing" according to her. i miss it. it was alot of fun.
montoya 73 2.0
and another...
Flat VW
KUHHlllll!

John driving.gif
Leo Imperial
QUOTE (Series9 @ Apr 5 2006, 12:24 PM)

I was going to call you when I saw this.
I knew it wouldn't take you long to jump on it.

You know I hear this things make good tow vehicles wink.gif
Part Pricer
The seller has a few of these for sale on his site. Check out Z & S Imports

How about a 1990 DOUBLE CAB SYNCRO

KELTY360
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 5 2006, 11:51 AM)
i sold my 67 crew cab when i moved here to Oregon 2 years ago.

Sorry to hijack, but how do you like Klamath Falls? Thought about moving there myself.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE (KELTY360 @ Apr 5 2006, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 5 2006, 11:51 AM)
i sold my 67 crew cab when i moved here to Oregon 2 years ago.

Sorry to hijack, but how do you like Klamath Falls? Thought about moving there myself.

Good place to raise a family, compared to big city (San Jose,Ca.). nothing to do if your young and single. Still a small town atmosphere. limited as far as employment unless your a mechanic, wood mill worker, lumber jack,hospital worker (Merle West), college staff (OIT), engineer (mechanical,electrical), car salesman and retail. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my girls (15 & 16).
guiltless
Here's a pic.

guiltless
And another
guiltless
again
guiltless
more
guiltless
sorry for the crappy camera
guiltless
more inside
guiltless
forgot the pic in this one
guiltless
inside again
guiltless
the "crew"
guiltless
Money shot
guiltless
last one
guiltless
The engine bay got painted a platinum-ish mercedes silver to see how we liked the color.
Aaron Cox
seriously.... need a kidney?

looks like a fun ride....

how much? (not that i can afford it)
Maltese Falcon
Get that bad boy Joe wink.gif then put a little muscle into it. Steering gets light over 100 though...do some roof spoiler or something. Vanagon Carat front springs bring the front down some, nicer handling.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Also hauls 5 of your buddies and a bunch of stuff in the p/u bed, and lower bed compartment. Turns lots of heads at the VW dealer wink.gif
Marty
racerx9146
I am in the middle of a SVX 3.3 liter swap in my Vanagon Doka. Funny the 914 folks have just started getting into Subie motors, Vanagon guys have been doing the subie swap for years...

user posted image
Maltese Falcon
Nice work John! not a thread hijack...but I found that a couple'a tricks with the syncro trans mounts : I spot welded the top nut to the flat washer , it stays in place better as a unit AND put register marks on the nylon mounts (sharpie marker) , as those are clocked .That takes the guesswork out of setting them up while you're fighting the install biggrin.gif
Marty
racerx9146
thanks Marty, sounds like good advice. Of course this little project is taking way longer than planned, not only do you wind up doing the motor swap but you also have to repair and fix all the things you discover along the way, not to mention basic maint on the new motor.

Did you have to take your Vanagon to the referee station?
charlesmac
Saw a sweeeet one last night. (sorry I have no pics) A guy that just moved into the area was in his dad's '59 that was featured in hot vw's in '97. 1641 berg motor, dual kadrons, type 1 swing axle, and on and on and on. It was kinda deep red with a little orange tint, smoothed bumpers without the over riders, dropped about 3-4 inches, polished 911 style fuchs, i'm telling ya this thing is fine. This guy's daily driver is a slammed '50 split window rat rod look.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Series9 @ Apr 5 2006, 09:24 AM)

Did you win the auction? It's no longer listed..
Flat VW
confused24.gif
rick 918-S
I found this one last month.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2006, 08:51 PM)
I found this one last month.

sad.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Apr 6 2006, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (Series9 @ Apr 5 2006, 09:24 AM)

Did you win the auction? It's no longer listed..

No.

I was given inside information that the reserve was set at $12k.

Additionally, I have a good friend here who is familiar with the seller. Even though I've had a REALLY easy time titling vehicles in NM, he claims that these are virtually impossible to title via legitimate means.
Maltese Falcon
John, the dualcab goes in with cat convertors on test days. I'll usually run those daily, or a racier system on show days. The engine is EFI , with all OE emissions attached and passes the tests. There are just some smog techs to go to , and others not to . Most techs just test it as an MPPV-Multi Purpose Passenger Van, which is what the OE door jamb sticker says anyway.
Joe, Registration should be no problem, first off : all North American 2cabs come with the factory MPPV sticker on the door post, usually Canadian DOT . They also come with emissions stickers on the engine lid. In Cali, a Canadian car being registered is simply done as an out-of-state transaction, just bring a clean bill of sale, title, smog check , proof of ins., certified weight cert. and some $$. The weight cert is critical ($5.00 at a truck stop), as the DMV examiner says it's a truck--so without the cert, the registration is incomplete.
BTW, syncros are much heavier than 2WDs, but they don't budge in crosswinds--I miss mine sad.gif
Marty
montoya 73 2.0
couple other pics i have.
montoya 73 2.0
URY914
This is to die for...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.