Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting adhesive off paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
What should I use to get all the adhesive off the interior paint as well as in my engine compartment? My paint is in incredible condition it jjust has a bunch of ugly adhesive that was used to adhere the original firewall mats etc.
jd74914
I hit it lightly with a wire wheel on my grinder and none of the factory paint came off or lost its sheen
Dave_Darling
Brake cleaner also works. If there's much adhesive on there it can turn it into a smeary mess, though. Best to test it on some out-of-the-way place.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
"Goof Off". Just used it to remove tape residue from plastic, and I've taken duct tape, package sealing tape, and lots of other stuff off with it. The Cap'n
Trekkor
I used a single edged razor blade. Use it to scrape that brittle adhesive by holding the razor at a 70-90 degree angle.
Stuff just turns to dust. You'll need to use quite a few razors. When they dull, it'll be obvious.

KT
Qarl
3M adhesive remove. From local Home Depot

White and red can.

I used it on my old 914 to remove the glue for the passenger compartment firewall pad.

Gets nice and high too.
jimtab
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 5 2006, 03:09 PM)

White and red can.

I used it on my old 914 to remove the glue for the passenger compartment firewall pad.

Gets nice and high too.

Listen to Qarl...he is correct...3m adhesive remover is the best...we sell a buttload of it at the store in SF.
Joe Ricard
Peanut butter. no shit try it I promise.
riverman
Those Mr. Clean cleaning sponges work nice too.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Apr 5 2006, 05:14 PM)
Peanut butter. no shit try it I promise.

Before or after I inhale the 3m stuff? biggrin.gif
KELTY360
Mineral spirits.
John
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 5 2006, 03:09 PM)

White and red can.

Gets nice and high too.

Thats what I use.
mudfoot76
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 5 2006, 06:09 PM)

Is that safe for the chrome trim too?
jimtab
QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Apr 6 2006, 05:26 AM)
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 5 2006, 06:09 PM)
3M adhesive remove.  From local Home Depot

Is that safe for the chrome trim too?

NO DEPOT>...go to a real hardware store....and yes also good on chrome. biggrin.gif
balljoint
WD-40 works.

Removed an entire sticker kit from my first pick up truck with it.
rjkavanagh
Yep, WD 40 works great.
Eric_Shea
"Goof Off"

agree.gif

Every garage should have a can, spray or squirt.
Rand
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Apr 5 2006, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Apr 5 2006, 05:14 PM)
Peanut butter.  no shit try it I promise.

Before or after I inhale the 3m stuff? biggrin.gif

No no, you inhale the peanut butter. Sometimes it helps to thin it with maple syrup. laugh.gif

I haven't tried WD40 on the pad adhesive, but it works wonders on small gummy stuff.
914forme
3M stuff is a great universal cleaner use it all the time. Removes about any form tar to bugs, to well adhesive like it says it would.
mikey
"Goof Off". Just used it to remove tape residue from plastic, and I've taken duct tape, package sealing tape, and lots of other stuff off with it. The Cap'n

agree.gif This stuff is great. Removes latex house paint drips on wood floors too.
Randal
"Goof Off".

agree.gif Pretty safe!

Adhesive remover also really works, in fact some of it is just like paint remover (home depot), so be very careful where you use it with that beautiful paint job.
grantsfo
Bought a can of goof off for $1.79 Wal Mart. So I'll give it a shot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.