Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I or not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
germaneighter
I have a chance to pick up a running '76 S Targa with about 100K miles on it. It was originally orange but repainted white. Paint on hood and fenders is peeling. Interior is kind of shabby. Body is straight. It may have floor board rust as it has been covered with a rotting tarp. Has original 6 X 15 Fuchs. I can get this car for around $3K, maybe a little less. I have the cash but that depletes my car funds. Should I get it and try to make a little $$ with it? Get it for a 6 conversion? Or should I run?
SpecialK
Unless you're well aware of all of the potential rust issues 914's can have (the hidden ones are the ones that'll bite you ph34r.gif ), or are a very good welder, I'd see if I couldn't get one of the local 914 owners to go with you for the inspection. 3k sounds a bit high by your description of the car, but without actually see the vehicle, I'll reserve judgement.

-Kevin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SpecialK @ Apr 6 2006, 08:01 PM)
Unless you're well aware of all of the potential rust issues 914's can have...

a '76 911S should have at least some of the Thyssen steel in it and be relatively free from rust.

100k mi in 30 years sounds pretty low, especially for a car that is obviously not a garage queen - 911's love to be driven and hate to be stored.

it should have aluminum calipers and struts to match, that'd be a help for a 5-lug conversion. the engine is probably a core...

you should at least break even on parts if you have the facilities and patience to strip it. a Targa top in good condition is worth some $$$.

a '76 will require emissions inspection in CA, which may be why it got parked in the first place...

have a look at the latest Excellence for an idea on early 911 values.
krazykonrad
If nothing else I'll buy the wheels and maybe the engine from you. but not for $3k! laugh.gif
JPB
3K, what the hell are ya waiting for!! Get some cool parts and assuming the engine is running or free. A 914 tub can be purshased cheeply if yours is gonna hit the ground. Get the beast and invest in a sawsall it was destined to be a 914 donor! If you have the room, part it out on ebay! A targa at that price would make a nice slant nose though. I'm a sucker for slant noses. 2K for the conversion. Okay I will stop here.

wub.gif Ya snooze ya loose!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.