Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripping Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
Looking for a good stripper to remove the black paint off of 911 style fuchs. Brand name/specific solution name and source would be helpful.

Any tips on the process would help too since I have never done anything like this. I would like to avoid standing back and saying "Dang, I shouldn't have done that".

Joseph
75' 914 2.0L AX bound
JmuRiz
Step 1: Send them somewhere (like Al Reed) to get refinished biggrin.gif I'd do it again in a heatbeat if I did it over (I'm in the process of doing it my self and it's a P.I.T.A.).

Seriously though, I just stripped some paint off of a couple of my 911 rims. Use something called Aircraft stripper, it's the best I've heard of. I used some normal heavy duty paint stipper and it took a while longer to get the paint off.

Then use a metal etching primer as a base and some Wurth paint. Good luck.

Nathan
Scott
Had my wheels done by a place called Wheel Techniques in Campbell. California ( Their Site http://www.wheeltechniques.com ) They do the best work I have seen and can even make wheels from scratch. I have known the owner just about as long as he has been in business. Here is a link to a pic on their site that shows some porsche wheels he has done:
http://www.wheeltechniques.com/images/poli...shed_wheels.jpg

I had my 15x7s and 15x8s totally redone. Stripped, polished and painted. Left the spokes and rim polished as per the older porsche look. He charges about $135 a wheel for the complete process. No muss, no fuss, no inhaliing fumes. Don't know how much they would be to ship.

There is also Wheel Connection in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The guys from Lindsey racing do wheels during the day so the can race their Porsches. Lindsey racings site here

http://www.lindseyracing.com/

Here are some pics of some Fuchs they made:

http://www.lindseyracing.com/project/page5.html

The "click on" to Wheel Connection doesn't work but you can reach them:

Monday-Friday 7:00am - 5:00pm CST
Info and Tech ~ 405.947.0137
Fax ~ 405.947.2274

Or E-mail them

davelindsey@lindseyracing.com or
mikelindsey@lindseyracing.com

Hope this helps.
BenNC
I haven't tried it on the wheels, but the makers of POR-15 (God bless there souls) also have a product called POR-STRIP that wreaks havoc on just about any finish that I've spryed it on. I think that you can only order it online though. sad.gif
fuch toy
For 300 ish....Al wil strip, polish, and paint your wheels....unless you are REAL CHEAP SOB like Sammy....that's a deal blink.gif

He did it ONCE....now he went Concour Weenie and paid for it. ASk him to post the pics of his fingers after the hand polishing.....
Gint
What a crack!

Who's Al? Contact info?
fuch toy
Al Reed in Orange County.....near Sammy/Water/turbo/weenie.....I guess the avatar of my ex wife's Mom's cleavage needs to be removed????
Joseph Mills
Scott,
I coincidently met Mike Lindsey Friday. They strip, paint & polish the rims & spokes for 500.00. He showed me current work being done and their work is absolutely beautiful. It's like looking at jewelry. Their polish work looks like chrome, and their painting is flawless. I would recommend them to anyone. Once my car is painted I'm going to have my fuchs done by them.

After receiving some tips from others, here is what I have done for now. I used BIX brand spray-on stripper (from HoDePo). You spray on one coat and ten minutes later, spray on a second coat on top of the first. Fifteen minutes later I used a small brass wire brush and simply brushed off the paint. It took about five minutes of brushing per wheel. I couldn't believe how easy it was. Well, except for the fourth wheel, which evidently is a "newer" fuchs wheel with some kind of heavy duty paint on it. It took six complete treatments to remove most of the paint and there is still recessed areas with paint left. PITA.

The three wheels that were easy to do are easily identifiable. The paint is more of a dark gray than an actual black. And it is very flat, almost chalky looking. These are so easy to do I would encourage anyone to try stripping their own. The fourth wheel that was a PITA has a deep rich black color with a semi-gloss finish. If you have four of these wheels you'd be better off paying to have it done.

I am leaving the clear coat of anodized on and will be lightly spraying the recessed areas of the wheels black, leaving the spokes and rims with the dull shine of the alloy for a vintage look. They already look soooo much better than they did. However, I'm still taking them to Lindsey at some later date. Thanks for the links - I didn't even know they had a website.

Joseph
75' 914 2.0L AX bound
Sammy
Al Reed, (714) 632-3907
3010 E. Coronado #A, Anaheim Ca. 92806 (no web site).

He's famous for what he does with fuchs. He even has all different sizes of fuchs w/tires at his shop that he installs on your car while he's working on your wheels. Just drive up on the lift and 5 minutes later you can drive away.

Here's what he charged me:
remove tires from wheels, remount and balance, $50 total
Strip, polish lips and spokes, paint background, $50 per wheel
Strip, polish, and hand paint the crest on center caps, $15 each.
polish aluminum lug nuts, $1 ea.

I pick em up tomorrow, pics to follow.
Gint
I pick em up tomorrow, pics to follow.

Can't wait t see 'em. Might be worth a "quick" trip at $50 a pop.

I guess the avatar of my ex wife's Mom's cleavage needs to be removed????

Please. That is one ugly ass set of cleavage.
fuch toy
Butts or MY ugly mugg....
Gint
Butts or MY ugly mugg....

Don't make me say it......

That butt is much easier on the eyes than the *other* one.
Scott
Joseph,

Glad you met Mike. I have only talked to him on the phone but sounds like a nice guy and willing to take the time to work with you. I am sure that your Fuchs will look great after their done.
Sammy
As promised here's some pics of my wheels (eye candy):
Sammy
Close up (I only know how to put one pic per post)
Sammy
Rear wheel close up:
Eddie Williams
Good looking set of wheels, Sammy! I wonder if he'd take a set shipped to him?
Red-Beard
Do you know if he is open on Weekends? Wow! Great price.

James
fuch toy
He has funky "public" hours....call the number and voice mail will tell you his schedule.
jonwatts
Mikey I likes you new avatar a lot better. Just don't tell me it's a guy, Ok?
Dave_Darling
But Jon--it is a guy. A Dutch guy, like Jeroen. ...Who is taking the picture. biggrin.gif

I miss Hugo. He had those pics, with the redhead, and then the pics of the blonde... Mmmm.... Evidently, the blonde gal also worked on the car with him! "Pretty private mechanic" was the title of one of the web pages he put up.

Hey, Jeroen! If you ever run into him somehow, or if you know how to get ahold of him, could you get him to contact me?

--DD
Sammy
Naw, Al doesn't work weekends anymore. He used to work saturday mornings, but there's a "almost" topless place next door and his wife got mad at him for going over there for a beer aftrer work, now she doesn't let him work saturdays anymore :gilloutine:

He is basically open to the public three days a week with at least one of those days being an appointment only day, the rest of the week he gets stuff done. That's how he can strip, polish, and paint wheels in a three or 4 day turnaround.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.