Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HP Difference
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
ok,
So , 73-74 2.0 liter HE with the dual outlets versus 75-76 2.0 liter with the single outlet HE's

does anyone have an educated guess as to the HP difference???

Rich
SGB
Wouldn't it depend on the cofiguration of the muffler chambers? If it is just dumping into a common passageway, unless stupid economy vs. fluid dynamics compromises were made and overall cross-section was reduced, I don't know if there is a difference.
Bleyseng
7hp!!!

What do I win!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
SGB
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Apr 6 2006, 09:09 PM)
7hp!!!

damn! Must reduce flow bigtime!
Bleyseng
Yes, I ripped out mine a few years ago and the change was noticeable after going to SSI HE's and a stock banana muffler.
newto914s
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Apr 6 2006, 06:09 PM)
7hp!!!

7 hp is the differance from 73-74 to 75-76 model years. Is that loss ALL attributed to the exhaust. I would have thought the smog pump, different injectors, and different ECU would have robbed a couple of horses respectively. And the Exhaust in-and-of-it-self would only be sitting on 4 or 5 hourses.
Samson
Mueller
QUOTE (newto914s @ Apr 7 2006, 12:04 AM)
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Apr 6 2006, 06:09 PM)
7hp!!!

7 hp is the differance from 73-74 to 75-76 model years. Is that loss ALL attributed to the exhaust. I would have thought the smog pump, different injectors, and different ECU would have robbed a couple of horses respectively. And the Exhaust in-and-of-it-self would only be sitting on 4 or 5 hourses.
Samson

the injectors could not have any effect on the HP gain or loss...

'75 1.8 have the same cr@ppy exhaust, no smog pump, yet nice gains from replacing the exhaust with an earlier one.

the smog stuff on the 2.0 motors are not as bad as people make them out to be...it's the exhaust which is piss poor and I think they went with that design for cost reasons since the exhaust manifold is shared with the buses and one tube is cheaper than 2 tubes (per side)

ChrisFoley
Yesterday I noticed the passenger side warm air duct on a 75/76 HE setup has a VW Audi symbol on it and was wondering what other vehicle they were sharing parts from.
... the exhaust manifold is shared with the buses ...
Bleyseng
The bus guys are always looking for those crappy J tubes cuz their rusted out long ago. Yes, they are the same part.

The VW/Audi stamp just means they were manufactured by VW/Audi plants. Remember, they are giant automotive company compared to little Porsche at that time (one plant).
Why do you think VW's Karmann plant built the 914? Porsche had no factories with the ability to mass produce a car in the 20,000 a year sales.

Yes, its the crappy HE's that rob the hp. If you read this bbs enough, Jake and others have shown even stock show improvements in HP gains the best exhaust being Racer Chris's header system. 914 have restrictive exhaust and poor exhaust side flow stock.

cool_shades.gif
rhodyguy
and the whole system weighs more than the earlier version. the gains are two-fold.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.