Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I've finally separated the transmission from the (old) engine. I have a replacement (new, to me) engine to go in. Both are 1.7's. The new to me/replacement 1.7 is from a 71, and the old 1.7 (and trans) are 73.

Is there any difference throughout the years with clutches/pressure plates/flywheels, or are they all the same?

I'm at a standstill because I don't know if I need to use the clutch stuff from the old engine and put it on the replacement engine.

As you can tell I don't know much about this stuff so keep it simple.... wacko.gif Thanks for any help

SLITS
The /4 friction disk had 4 springs and the "upgrade" had 6 springs (from the nineleben).

The /4 pressure plate was rated at 960 lbs, but when they went to the 2.0 /4, it was rated at 1200 lbs (numbers are from memory, but should be close)

With that said, they are all the same and will retrofit and forward fit.

Ta Da aktion035.gif
Hammy
Cool, thanks Ron beer.gif

Ok, now how do I determine which parts to use, in terms of wear and which is in best condition? Anything to look for?
SLITS
Flywheel: Look for bluing (heat marks), cracking & radial grooves.

Friction disk: Springs not loose, material not deteoriating, and most of all, material left on disk.

Pressure plate: fingers are equal height in circle, no bluing / cracking of face. You would be hard pressed to check the amount of pounds required to depress the fingers.

Take pictures of the items and post them here for opinions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.