Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Tubing Bender, Build Your own
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
Doesn't look like much, but this "Homebuilt" job is equivalent to some $4000 machines out there. Will bend up to 1 1/2-2" tubing. Here is the site... search for "Roller" and you'll find all the files zipped together.

Ernie Leimkuhler 's Metalworking Links

He built it for $500
Porcharu
Those are really tubing "curvers" they make really nice smooth curves in tubing - like for a spiral staircase or sailboat railings.

Take a look here for a bender that you would use to make a roll cage.

Bender plans

I am building the HD version. Costs about $250 in steel plus dies and the jack.
When I'm done with the engine swap and the CNC mill I "might" make some of these for a fair price. You would still need to buy the plans from Frank. You can't make one of these with hand tools and a drill. I have at least 10 hours into mine and still have some work left. Those holes are a pain in the a** to make without a mill.
rick 918-S
I made a manual bender with homemade dies to bend the arch shaped roll bar on this 928. I still have some of the parts for the bender.
messix
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2006, 09:59 PM)
I made a manual bender with homemade dies to bend the arch shaped roll bar on this 928. I still have some of the parts for the bender.

more pictures of this please
rick 918-S
QUOTE (messix @ Apr 6 2006, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2006, 09:59 PM)

more pictures of this please

This was the first car. I did some consulting on it. I don't have any more. I just had pizza with my uhpolstery buddy. He helped on it too. He said he thinks he has some more photos. He's going to see if he can hunt them down.

We added sheet metal to the back side of the bar to make it a wing shape, then cut in a third brake light, made a vacum formed lens, and my friend covered it with leather and sewed it on with a baseball stitch. Cool!
messix
thanx, i'd really like to see them. that car looks pretty good from that angle, hard to tell it's a 928.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (messix @ Apr 6 2006, 09:11 PM)
thanx, i'd really like to see them. that car looks pretty good from that angle, hard to tell it's a 928.

hijacked.gif

Here's the second generation car. Sorry they had to loose the rollbar for the top. It's a complete glas body, lots of stuff cut off the 928 to do this.

rick 918-S
front... piratenanner.gif
messix
that is smooth. looks like something porsche might build five years from now.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Apr 6 2006, 08:52 PM)
Those are really tubing "curvers" they make really nice smooth curves in tubing - like for a spiral staircase or sailboat railings.

Bender plans

When I'm done with the engine swap and the CNC mill I "might" make some of these for a fair price. You would still need to buy the plans from Frank. You can't make one of these with hand tools and a drill. I have at least 10 hours into mine and still have some work left. Those holes are a pain in the a** to make without a mill.

I appreciate the distinction.. you are right, the thread I found was indeed for a guy who was making railing.
Brian Mifsud

Bender plans

Steve,

Mueller is in your kneck of the woods and he has his bridgeport set up with CNC. My mill is still sitting in Mom's garage but I'll be moving it south this summer. If you ever want to do a "production run" maybe we can network...

B
spare time toys
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2006, 11:59 PM)

Is this the same car?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=14...che+928&pl=true
Mueller
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Apr 7 2006, 07:02 AM)

Bender plans

I am building the HD version.  Costs about $250 in steel plus dies and the jack.  
When I'm done with the engine swap and the CNC mill I "might" make some of these for a fair price.  You would still need to buy the plans from Frank.  You can't make one of these with hand tools and a drill.  I have at least 10 hours into mine and still have some work left.  Those holes are a pain in the a** to make without a mill.

Steve,

Mueller is in your kneck of the woods and he has his bridgeport set up with CNC. My mill is still sitting in Mom's garage but I'll be moving it south this summer. If you ever want to do a "production run" maybe we can network...

B

Hey Brian....

Steve is closer to Campbell I think...a good 90 miles away driving.gif

I found another good G/M code program, it's free (yippeeee)...it's really an "editor" but has cool Simulation feature that'll show the tool path (x,y and z).....It has some sample codes and it allows you to step thru each line to get a better feel for coding.

AutoEditNC 3.0
rick 918-S
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Apr 7 2006, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2006, 11:59 PM)

Is this the same car?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=14...che+928&pl=true

Yep, that's the first car. You can see the wing shape and the third light on top of the roll bar. the bar is 1 3/4 DOM.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2006, 09:59 PM) *

Rick,

Any pics of the Tube Bender? I'm interested in your "home-made dies".

Thanks
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Apr 13 2006, 06:28 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 6 2006, 09:59 PM) *

Rick,

Any pics of the Tube Bender? I'm interested in your "home-made dies".

Thanks

Nope, I didn't take photos. I'll see If I can find a few of the parts and make a diagram of how it worked.
smdubovsky
Why go though the hassle of building your own for $250? For $300 you can buy a JD2. Mine has built 3 1/2 cages so far. I dont do it for a living so it not worth converting to hydraulic (but it would be nice).
SoCal Driver
I came across that video about a week ago, nice car. I Porsche should have built that before. I was supprised it went for less than 50k. I would have figured it was going to be more.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(smdubovsky @ Apr 13 2006, 12:12 PM) *

Why go though the hassle of building your own for $250? For $300 you can buy a JD2. Mine has built 3 1/2 cages so far. I dont do it for a living so it not worth converting to hydraulic (but it would be nice).

$250 includes the cost of buying dies. I'm going to machine my own so my cost will be significantly lower.
Porcharu
QUOTE(smdubovsky @ Apr 13 2006, 12:12 PM) *

It's a different type of bender. I don't have room for a horizontal mount style bender. I can drag this one out of the garage level it up and go to work. Mine is also air over hydraulic and manual (cool jack.) It's also way way overkill - it will bend 2" .120 wall DOM or 4130. And it was fun to weld up some big thick steel - I've never had the MIG cranked up all the way before. welder.gif
If I had the room I would have just bought one and been done with it and spent the time working on my car.
rick 918-S
I only built the bender I used because of the arch of the bar. Normal dies would have been too sharp of a bend. I had a 5' long handle on it from the center of the arch. You just pulled on the handle, slid the bar back, and pulled again.
smdubovsky
$250 includes the cost of buying dies.

Gotcha! Did that include the ram? (its hard to tell from your orig quote - I read it as $250 in steel PLUS the cost of the dies and the jack)

BTW, vert or horiz doesnt' matter once you go hydraulic - even the JD2 could be flipped on its side.

BTW2, Where did you guys get the long stroke ram (and how much $)?
Mueller
found this linked from another site:

Dirt cheap tubing bender

car was used to hold end of bender down.......

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.