Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing oil spot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
My family has this storage unit thing, and I have two engines in there right now. One of them is mine, being disassembled for someone for a raby 2056 engine, and the other I got from another clubmember from OH.

Forgot to check the oil in that engine, and now there's a huge oil spot in the unit.

How do I get it up? Kitty Litter or some engine degreaser or what?

Kitty litter works good on oil spots at home, so maybe i'll try that first.

b
URY914
Pour about 5 gallons of gas on it and let soak in real good. Take a stiff brush and work it in to the stain.
Stand about ten feet away and flick a lit wooden match into the center of the stain.

Works every time. wink.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 7 2006, 06:24 AM)
Pour about 5 gallons of gas on it and let soak in real good. Take a stiff brush and work it in to the stain.
Stand about ten feet away and flick a lit wooden match into the center of the stain.

Works every time. wink.gif

premium or regular?

b
Pistachio
Standing oil or stained concrete? I'm confused wacko.gif

Standing oil - yeah, kitty litter (also known as diatomaceous earth wink.gif )

Stained concrete - Tri sodium phosphate (sold as TSP at a hardware store-paint section)
bd1308
standing oil AND (with my luck) stained concrete.

b
GaroldShaffer
soak up the standing oil with kitty litter, the clay type = cheap! sweep it up then add more kitty litter and use your shoe to grind it in, let it set over night then sweep up. That works for me most of the time. When that doesn't I have this product called pour & restore. Pour it over the stain and let it dry (5-6 hours) then sweep up. Works every time.

YMMV
ematulac
Kitty litter overnight usually does the trick.

Someone suggested Tide detergent with a little bit of water ... kept the Homeowner's Association off his back.
Eddie Williams
Here's a trick I learned for oil stains, pour some laquer thinner on the spot, let it sit for a minute and then throw some kitty liter on top of that. Let the kitty litter soak it up. Works well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.