Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedal Cluster Rebuild...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ty914
OK...so I thought I would start the rebuild on my pedal cluster since I am tired of sanding on the car. I went ahead and bought the bushing kit and a new set of springs...read over the Pelican tech article on the rebuild. I thought this would be a nice afternoon project. headbang.gif

After wasting a day, breaking every drill bit, and my third band aid...with NO progress. I come to the trusty 914club web site to see if I am just missing something on how to get this done...YEP there it is a nice pedal rebuild from Eric Shea pray.gif . I could have spent my day at work and purchased a dozen but NOOOOO.

Well here I am...HOW DO I GET THE ROLLER PIN OUT!!! I can only imagine trying to get the new one in once I am done painting, plating, and putting back together. help.gif
rhodyguy
you prob need to press it out. cut your loses. call eric and just order one. imho.

k
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 7 2006, 12:37 PM)
you prob need to press it out. cut your loses. call eric and just order one. imho.

k

agree.gif I did get one from eric... and no regrets...
TROJANMAN
did you see THIS ? rolleyes.gif

arc914
Hey i think we are twins.iwent throught the same thing.busted three bits trying to get the roll pin out.so i put the whole assembly in the corner and moved on.
who is eric and what did you get from him to solve this challenge.will he help me out also?
arc914
Porsche Rescue
Roll pin out: Bench vise, bolt slightly smaller in diameter than the roll pin, deep socket, deep enough to catch the pin. Use the vise as a press and gently force the pin into the socket using the bolt. Requires some maneuvering of the cluster but it can be done. If rusty, use some PB Blaster first.
Roll pin in: use the vise to press it in, lubricate first, no bolt or socket required.

Same process works for the shift linkage U-joint.
LowGT
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 9 2006, 10:13 PM)
Roll pin out: Bench vise, bolt slightly smaller in diameter than the roll pin, deep socket, deep enough to catch the pin. Use the vise as a press and gently force the pin into the socket using the bolt. Requires some maneuvering of the cluster but it can be done. If rusty, use some PB Blaster first.
Roll pin in: use the vise to press it in, lubricate first, no bolt or socket required.

Same process works for the shift linkage U-joint.

^^

What he said. I did it this way and completed the rebuild in an hour. Most of that time was spent cleaning all the crude out of everything.
SirAndy
i put the thing in a vice, then used a BFH ( smash.gif ) with a flatheaded punch of the right size ...

piece of cake ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
wbergtho
Use the right tools and it comes out easily...use the wrong tools & technique and be agrivated all day long. Use a hammer and a punch of the correct size. When you drill it out...you stand a good chance of the hole becoming larger and shittier...thus allowing more room for slop and an ensuing shitty clutch pedal travel...leading to difficulties in releasing your PP and thereby resulting in excessive wear on the synchros and sliders. See how the wrong use of tools will lead to other costly repairs? Use the correct tools and do it right the first time.
Porcharu
This is one of the few times that a BFH smash.gif really is the correct tool (not just the tool that makes you feel good.) I don't think I have ever heard of anyone drilling out a roll pin - as you found out those things are tuff.
Eric_Shea
piece of cake ...

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Ahhhhh not every time. Some are damn near impossible with that method. I nearly broke my thumb many times whacking it with the hammer.

What I've found works every time is a pointed bit in an air hammer. Use it to get the pin started and then take over with the proper punch.

I have one painted pedal assembly made out of some... less desireable parts. Works perfect and the ugly pan will be under your pedal board and carpet. $50.00 plus shipping and your core. You'll have to use your throttle crank. Bronze bushings, Blasted to bare metal with Zero-Rust coating. Plated parts plated etc...

Let me know if you want it.
Eric_Shea
Ty,

Let me know if you're interested in the cluster... otherwise I'll throw it up on the Classified section.

E.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.