Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another corrosion resistant coating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
Steel-It

Several different formulations, but no mention of automotive use or use under another paint. Seems like it could be a good product to prime a bare stripped tub before painting, for extra corrosion protection..

But it also seems like they may just be playing off the term "stainless" for marketing.. maybe it's no help to have stainless bits in the paint? (zinc is reactive and sacrifices itself to protect other metals, stainless is not)

If it really works, it seems like it would be better than zinc primer because zinc eventually gets used up and stops protecting the steel.
JPB
I would think that a scale like build up of stainless would be abrasion resistant but does the paint penetrate the rust and kill it? Even the cold galve compounds we us on structural steel don't seem to last much but pour-15 promisses a good bond even to rusted metal. I would guess your product will only be as good as the bonding properties of it's liquid component. I would say that it would be great on a Ford or Chevy, 911, Chrysler for testing.
popcorn[1].gif
bondo
Hehe. I'm more thinking of use on clean steel than over rust. The sad fact is that you can spend a significant portion of your life restoring a 914, and it'll eventually rust again unless you keep it garaged and never drive it in the rain. It seems to me that the most important step in delaying that eventuality is in choosing what coating goes on first, directly onto the freshly blasted/stripped steel.

I've heard por-15 can be bad for this because paint has trouble sticking to it. Some people say any epoxy primer is all you need. This seems like it might be somewhere in between, especially the epoxy version. Of course it completely depends on its ability to accept a top coat. If nobody has tried this stuff, I'll probably get some and do some experiments. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.