Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rustoleum Spray Can Primer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dakotaewing
I currently have my car down to bare metal in few places trying to get the car ready for a decent garage paint job - I need to protect these areas from "Flash" rust, and was hoping to do this by using Rustoleum (sp) Auto primer, or maybe their etching primer - I do NOT want to have to take this off again, in order to spray with the PPG stuff, but I will spray the PPG on top of it as long as I don't have issues with the paint long term if I do this - Could you guys who have experience in the industry let me know if I will be OK long term, or am I going to regret this down the road... ???

TIA

Thom
mikeatrpi
NO!

I learned the hard way. PPG primer (at least, MP-170 epoxy) is incompatible with rustoleum aerosol primer. Minutes after I put down the epoxy it lifted. mad.gif I had to wait for it to dry and then sand it all off again.

You could consider brushing on the primer if you're worried about setting up the gun + cleaning it. But what you save in setup + clean time you lose later in sanding.

"If its worth doing..."
dakotaewing
Thats not really what I wanted to hear... headbang.gif
But, I guess while we are at it I should ask the same thing about Dupont and PPG as well -
When I had the flares installed on the car about 5 years ago, the body shop guy used used Dupont products after installing the flares...
In regard to setting up the gun - I need to install a new pressure switch on the compressor, so its not running at the moment...
Katmanken
Alllllrighteeeee

One more time.......

The active rust inhibiting agent in rustoleum is FISH OIL

Spray it on, and no other paint will stick to it. icon8.gif

Use real autmotive grade paints on your car.

Ken
Porsche Rescue
Go to an auto paint store. They will have spray can products that are compatible. Maybe even PPG.
neo914-6
A painter advised me not to prime the bare fenders because PPG's sequence of application of primer and sealers is short. If it was primed I would pay twice to have it stripped again prior to paint. I was very disappointed because now my car is multi colored and surface rusted bare metal... sad.gif
Chris Pincetich
whew - good thing I stayed up late to read 914world.com - I am glad I didn't go crazy with my rustoleum can too soon - the rain saved me and so did this thread.

Still a newb, GOT TO ASK "what does PPG stand for?"
beerchug.gif

if ACE won't refund my spray can - I'll just use it to touch up the front and rear valence and final coat in the trunks - BUT NOT AS PRIMER wacko.gif
pfierb
QUOTE (ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 8 2006, 02:28 AM)
whew - good thing I stayed up late to read 914world.com - I am glad I didn't go crazy with my rustoleum can too soon - the rain saved me and so did this thread.

Still a newb, GOT TO ASK "what does PPG stand for?"
beerchug.gif

if ACE won't refund my spray can - I'll just use it to touch up the front and rear valence and final coat in the trunks - BUT NOT AS PRIMER wacko.gif

I think PPG means pittsburgh Plate Glass
Brian_Boss
Thom:
I have found that bare steel treated with Metalprep (or one of the other phosphoric acid prep products) will not rust unless it is exposed to really harsh conditions. This might be a good alternative if the car is not siiting out in the weather.
Allan
I learned this a few months ago. Did some rust repair in the rear trunk and used rustoleum primer. Went out the next day and hit everything with the top coat. It looked great. Came back after 5 minutes and noticed the paint bubbling up. WTF?

Cleaned everything up and tried it again. 5 minutes later WTF.

Finally had to sand everything back down to bare metal and start over using some sem primer from the local auto paint shop.

Wurked gud...
Katmanken
I use Dupont Variprime 2 part catalyzed primer (one can is marked 615 or 516) . Stuff has to be sprayed but unlike almost any other primer, it is NOT POROUS and can take the weather.

Mix it up and it sets up really hard, latches into the metal (self etching) and has a little zinc. Perfect for weatherproofing AND it sticks great to real auto primers and paint. Mix too much up up and it will keep in a jar for a week or 2 without kicking. Eats POR 15 though.

The only downside is it is baby poop tan.

Ken
dakotaewing
I thought last night that I would use the SEM instead as well, but I also bought some DX579 a few weeks ago to treat the flash prior to applying any primer - (I have some Weld through SEM primer from the local auto paint supply - They're really proud of the SEM @ $9+ a can...)
Headed off to a local compressor supply to see if I can get a switch and fix the compressor -
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.