Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Lightweight Project Continues...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
URY914
And you thought just because I painted it, bought a set of slicks and slapped a Raby motor in it, I was done. rolleyes.gif Remember a racecar is NEVER done happy11.gif

How about a scoop to get some cool air to the engine? Some of you may have seen my WTB ad in the classified looking for a Baja Bug roof mounted oil cooler scoop. I put a WTB ad on Samba.com and gotta a hit within three hours. beer.gif

Here it is....I got some work to do on it but you get the idea. It will make a great starting point.

And before you ask, I don't want to put it over the top of the targa bar. (at least for now:idea: )

URY914
I set it back alittle for this shot.
Qarl
It looks heavy
URY914
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 7 2006, 05:51 PM)
It looks heavy

It won't be when I'm done with it. laugh.gif
TimT
I like it!!!

(in the best "tony the tiger" voice)
alpha434
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 7 2006, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 7 2006, 05:51 PM)
It looks heavy

It won't be when I'm done with it. laugh.gif

Are you going to drill holes in it???

laugh.gif

What are the naca ducts for in the passenger seat? Just curious. Sorry about the hijack.
URY914
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Apr 7 2006, 06:13 PM)

What are the naca ducts for in the passenger seat? Just curious. Sorry about the hijack.

Those will be ducted to the engine cooling fan.
spare time toys
I like it in the first one where it is more in the center beerchug.gif
URY914
I was looking at it this morning,idea.gif

I need to cut 1 1/2" off the top and cut it down the centerline and widen it by 2".

Can't leave anything well enough alone. rolleyes.gif screwy.gif happy11.gif
Dead Air
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 8 2006, 05:14 AM)
I was looking at it this morning,idea.gif

I need to cut 1 1/2" off the top and cut it down the centerline and widen it by 2".

Can't leave anything well enough alone. rolleyes.gif screwy.gif happy11.gif

[QUOTE]

Can you loose the Targa altogether?

Hey, how about air brushing some door handles on that thing! biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Dead Air @ Apr 8 2006, 05:29 AM)
[

Can you loose the Targa altogether?

Hey, how about air brushing some door handles on that thing! biggrin.gif

NEVER! The targa makes the 914 shape. I don't like them cut off.

Good idea on the handles. I was going to use pinstripe tape to outline the door seams.
Thorshammer
Daddy Likey,

I am sure, this is a fresh air duct for the air box, yes????

If so, make sure it has a convergence from the opening to the down turn, then it needs to diverge slightly and open into the largest airbox you can fit into the engine bay, high pressure air is what increases cylinder filling, not velocity. I am sure you are aware of this. Just thought I would mention it.

I like to make the air box as large as possible then start gluing tennis balls inside until I arrive at the proper volume for the engine, then I make the final air box.

My method may be crude, and lacking of scientific study, but I have been very successful in the past. Primarily on motorcycle road race engines.

Just wish I could figure out a way to get the air to my six cylinder engine within the SCCA rules for production. It would really help.

Eirk Madsen
URY914
Erik,

It will be a little tricky with my tubes that cross over the engine but I'll work on something. I'm primarly doing it to provide some type of "hood" for the engine, because I don't run anything over the engine and according to the letter of the rules I need a hood. I'll beat some guy by 15 seconds and he'll protest me and he'll win.
neo914-6
Paul,

They are cool, here's one...

Use an old helmet so it looks like you have a passenger. laugh.gif

URY914
Now look at this cool_shades.gif screwy.gif happy11.gif idea.gif

URY914
It might be a little "over the top" laugh.gif

URY914
I'm thinking this...

URY914
wink.gif
J P Stein
I'd use 2.... one over each carb......since you gotta have a heavy engine cover nohow. biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
JPB
Mister, everything your are doing here makes me wanna get into it! I am a certified welder and can tig well also. If i were to race it would be in this light class. Did you use chromoly tubing or seamless carbon steel? Can ya give me a list of parts of your car so I can dream a little and perhaps build? Ya know, got way to many questions. What engine, what frame design, suspension..... THNX

popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
Looks great! However I think that scoop thing would drive me crazy as it would be in the line of site of my peripheral vision. Maybe I'm not seeing how far your head would be in front of that scoop. Guess if its just going to be an AX car it would be ok. But then I was thinking if its just an AX car you wouldnt need anything to feed cooling air to the engine. Then I started to think more. If youre going to take it to the track are you lacking enough rollover protection?

I also think at speed it will be intersting to see how some of those body panels behave. mueba.gif
URY914
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Apr 9 2006, 10:59 AM)
Looks great! However I think that scoop thing would drive me crazy as it would be in the line of site of my peripheral vision. Maybe I'm not seeing how far your head would be in front of that scoop. Guess if its just going to be an AX car it would be ok. But then I was thinking if its just an AX car you wouldnt need anything to feed cooling air to the engine. Then I started to think more. If youre going to take it to the track are you lacking enough rollover protection?

I also think at speed it will be intersting to see how some of those body panels behave. mueba.gif

It is ONLY an autocross car. (The capitals are used because I have to keep telling myself that. I'm not yelling at you but at me.)

I don't think peripheral vision will be a problem because on a a/x course nothing will be coming at you from that direction. I find myself looking ahead at the next cone.

As far as the body panels, they've been/will be fine.

URY914
QUOTE (JPB @ Apr 9 2006, 10:18 AM)
Mister, everything your are doing here makes me wanna get into it! I am a certified welder and can tig well also. If i were to race it would be in this light class. Did you use chromoly tubing or seamless carbon steel? Can ya give me a list of parts of your car so I can dream a little and perhaps build? Ya know, got way to many questions. What engine, what frame design, suspension..... THNX

popcorn[1].gif

Have a look at my blog. It is pretty well documented there. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 9 2006, 11:15 AM)

I don't think peripheral vision will be a problem because on a a/x course nothing will be coming at you from that direction.

Theoretically....... laugh.gif
Series9
Damn,

I was in Temple Terrace two weeks ago.

I really wish I had seen your car.

It won't happen again.
URY914
QUOTE (Series9 @ Apr 9 2006, 05:51 PM)
Damn,

It won't happen again.

Joe,

Why were you here?
PM me if it is too secret to tell me in public. laugh.gif

Joe Ricard
Nice Paul, is for induction or cooling ? just wondering rolleyes.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Apr 9 2006, 06:12 PM)
Nice Paul, is for induction or cooling ? just wondering rolleyes.gif

Both, or maybe just to scare the 911 boys. laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
Well induction I was thinking RAM air into a common box surrounding both carbs.
Could be a bit of a pain to fab up with easy access to carbs for maintenance.
URY914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Apr 10 2006, 02:57 AM)
Well induction I was thinking RAM air into a common box surrounding both carbs.
Could be a bit of a pain to fab up with easy access to carbs for maintenance.

I was thinking access would be a pain also. I have two bars running over the top of the engine which also complicates things.

I realize ducting cool air right to the cars will increase HP to some degree but I really don't see it as making THAT much of a differance. Will it reduce my time on a ax run? Doubt it. Would it make a differance if I was at LeMans? Yes.

More than anything this will be directing air to the engine for both cooling and induction. It also gives me a starting point to fabricate a hood over the engine as I explained earlier in the thread.

I probably won't be working on this right away. Everytime I look at it I see alot work. I need some time for my lungs to clear the fiberglass out. I've been working on the f-glass targa bar and it's been more work than I thought. (of course)
Series9
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 9 2006, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 9 2006, 05:51 PM)
Damn,

It won't happen again.

Joe,

Why were you here?

I was in FL for a visit. My sister-in-law lives in TT (near 56th and Riverhills).
URY914
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 10 2006, 07:13 AM)
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 9 2006, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 9 2006, 05:51 PM)
Damn,

It won't happen again.

Joe,

Why were you here?

I was in FL for a visit. My sister-in-law lives in TT (near 56th and Riverhills).

So close, yet so far. biggrin.gif

I'm on the North end of town, Fowler and Riverhills.

You better call/come by next time. There are actually 2 914's in TT. Or at least 2 that I know of.
Series9
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 10 2006, 08:19 AM)

You better call/come by next time. There are actually 2 914's in TT. Or at least 2 that I know of.

Sorry,

It won't happen again.
Mike T
I like the look. Not sure of how effective it would be but that's just because I don't know anything about ram induction.

The Baja scoop actually looks in proportion on there. I was looking at the ones from Summit Racing but the price scared me off. Not to mention they all looked to big.

Do it. popcorn[1].gif

Mike T
Aaron Cox
paul - i love the scoop!

makes it look like the abarth X19! (backhanded compliment?? :rofl: )

make a fg cover and integrate the scoop into it smile.gif

and i like your idea of painting door seems and fake handles.....
URY914
QUOTE (Mike T @ Apr 10 2006, 08:29 AM)
I like the look. Not sure of how effective it would be but that's just because I don't know anything about ram induction.

The Baja scoop actually looks in proportion on there. I was looking at the ones from Summit Racing but the price scared me off. Not to mention they all looked to big.

Do it. popcorn[1].gif

Mike T

Mike, I looked everywhere to see what I could use and the best option was the Baja scoop. Gotta keep in the family wink.gif , I wouldn't want to use a scoop from a top fuel car. rolleyes.gif

carr914
Paul, I like it up high. It looks like an early 80's CanAm car. Where were you a couple of weeks ago for the Auto-X? Had a VERY Fast course, about 14 cars, 5 runs apiece plus fun runs. I ran my S-2000 and I was in 3rd bumping the rev limiter at 9,000+ rpm on the last straight. Best course weve had @ Zephyrhills since I've run there.

T.C.

ps Can you have my door handle done by the breakfast?
carr914
Or keep cutting and you could end up with this

T.C.
maf914
Way to go Paul. That scoop will be cool, no pun intended.

But, I thought you were going to use a scoop from a Ferrari 333SP? Nobody races them anymore so scoops ought to be cheap now! laugh.gif
maf914
Or how about a TWR Porsche LMP scoop? This has that Targa-bar look. laugh.gif

I think the large center scoop feeds the turbo intercooler, while the two outer scoops at the rear feed the turbo inlets.
URY914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 10 2006, 09:08 AM)

T.C.

ps Can you have my door handle done by the breakfast?

I'll start working on it tonight. wink.gif
URY914
Here is an update on the fresh air scoop:

I've decided to duct it to the carbs and wrap it about 1/2 way around the air cleaners. I worked on the driver's side this weekend and now I have the pass. side mold made. It is alot of f-glassing and sanding/cutting to get it to look right. I reworked the driver's twice before I got it close. I'm going to have a fixed bottom piece that stays on the engine, bolted to the bottom of the air cleaner housings. The actual scoop is held on with the aluminum bar that passes through it and is held in place with pins. I'll add another pin on the inside of the "mouth" and mount it to the roll bar. These three pins will hold it in place. Welding the mounting tabs for the pins was a joy. I used modeler clay to hold them in place while I welded.

URY914
Is this screwed up for everybody???
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 26 2006, 07:05 PM) *

nope ...

confused24.gif Andy
URY914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2006, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 26 2006, 07:05 PM) *

nope ...

confused24.gif Andy

For me the text is centered on the page. Seems like about half way down the thread everything moved over. screwy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 26 2006, 07:18 PM) *

For me the text is centered on the page. Seems like about half way down the thread everything moved over. screwy.gif

what browser ...
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
better now? there was a "old style" quote in one of the posts ...

smile.gif Andy
URY914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2006, 06:31 PM) *

better now? there was a "old style" quote in one of the posts ...

smile.gif Andy

You fixed it, Thanks.
drew365
Your scoop reminds me of ET with the towel over it's head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.