Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crane Ignition?????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I hear many of you talking about putting a msd ignition in your 914s. My 914 1.8 runs great but I've always wondered if putting in one of these pointless units would improve performance.

What do you think about this one on ebay?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Apr 8 2006, 09:58 AM)
I've always wondered if putting in one of these pointless units would improve performance.

no. but it will keep it running the same for a long time without requiring adjustment or replacement, and the timing won't vary as the points rubbing block wears.

for a (slight) performance increase, you need to do more than just replace the points, such as with the "XR3000" or Crane HI-6 CDI / multispark CDI.

your call on the cost/benefit ratio.
computers4kids
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Apr 8 2006, 06:13 AM)
for a (slight) performance increase, you need to do more than just replace the points

So what would you recommend for add-on/replacement parts to improve performance for a FI 1.8 for say under $300
Spoke
No comment on the type of system or its effectiveness, however I avoid buying electronic stuff from Ebay. Would rather buy from a reputable dealer. PP has the same set for $134. I know I could go back to PP for help or issues.

Spoke
JoeSharp
Mark: The hole point in going Pointless is there is no Point(s). Having no point means nothing (to adjust) The timing never moves and the dwell never changes. I use them for all my aircooled stuff, VW, sandrails. Go with the igniter or whatever they have at your local VW parts place and don't look back. Cost you maybe 70 buckls.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
computers4kids
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Apr 8 2006, 06:44 AM)
Go with the igniter or whatever they have at your local VW parts place and don't look back. Cost you maybe 70 buckls.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

Joe, thanks for the tip...much appreciated!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.