Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny ratios, diff, tire sizes and RPM's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
First of all, I will state that I am not a mathematical wizard. From my previous days restoring Datsun Z's, I would use this calculator to get my engine RPM and MPH on a Z-car.

Z Tranny Calc

Is there such an animal for the 914? Should be able to plug in the tranny ratios and diff ratio and tire sizes on this one to get approximate results.
porsche735
I have one. Let me see if I can get it uploaded...

Chris
porsche735
Here is another one I used for scratch....

With this one I checked the % difference between the gears to choose the optimal setup. You can see we did the swap between 3 and 5 and then put an S gear in place of the old 4th. You could leave 4th alone, as you can see by the math, but it works out very nice with the S there.

Chris
john rogers
You could go over to the Pelican site and download the GEARS.exe program I wrote a few years ago, it is in the 914 tech section. It lets you input gear ratios, tire diameter or turns per mile or circumference (most accurate) and final drive ratio and the slider will show RPM in each gear vs speed. Good luck.
porsche735
John,
Looks like the same one I just posted. Mine has the gear ratios we tried highlighted.

Boxsterfan,
Take a look at the scratch sheet. What you want to do is make your percentage changes very even through the gears. We chose to make our 4th to 5th a lower percentage and chose a lower top end gear. This will give you close to redline (5700rpm) at the end of the longest straights on the West Coast (Thunderhill and Laguna Seca). The ratios are perfect for just about every track out here....

Chris

BTW. the 22.8" diameter is a 205/50/15 bothe Hoosier and Kumho
Brad Roberts
We have multiple versions HERE on this site.

http://www.914world.com/downloads/Gears/

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.