Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stalling problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
I'm having a probelm with stalling out, especially in cold or rainy weather. When I take my foot off the gas and decelerate quickly the idle drops to ~100 to 0. The warmer and dryer it is outside the less problem it is. Usually if its good and warmed up the idle stays around 1200-1500 (high b/c vacuum leak, soon to be fixed) wacko.gif wacko.gif WTF.gif
Any suggestions?
Many thanks!
Konrad 72 914/4
SpecialK
Oh hell no! mad.gif .....I won't let this thread leave the first page without some kind of input. Come on guys, throw him a couple of possibilities.

I'll start....Assuming you're still FI, replace all of the original vacuum hoses, because if they're anything like mine were, they leak like a sieve. Once you've got all of the vacuum leaks fixed it should be easier to nail down what's wrong (if replacing the hoses doesn't actually fix the problem).

Somewhere in this site (classics ?), someone listed all of the I.D.'s and lengths of the hoses in the engine compartment....I'll dig around and see if I can't find it.

-Kevin
SirAndy
assuming you still got the stock FI, a vacuum leak will make the idle "hunt", meaning it'll go up and then drop and almost die as the FI brain tries to compensate, then go up again and repeat this ...

however, you didn't say where the idle is on a cold motor. does it idle at all when cold or do you have to "pump" it to keep the engine running?

let's start with the basics:
D-Jet or L-Jet or Carbs or ...?
displacement?

idea.gif Andy
krazykonrad
Thakns for the replies smilie_pokal.gif !
Its weird, when I crank it up it idles at a "normal 1200-1500. Even if I let it warm up for a good 4-5 mins. it will stall at the sorta quick decel (slight downhill into a stop as I'm going out of the parking lot) or I should say that the idle drops to about 50ish then it dies before I can get a foot of the brake and onto the gas.
It'll do this for the first few stops but after I have run it on the interstate for a about 10 mins. It idles fine for the rest of the trip.
The problem is especially bad the colder or rainier it is.
Thanks again for all yall's help!! beerchug.gif
krazykonrad
Also I'm running a normal D-jet set up. The car is orgininally a 1.7. the PO upgraded to a 2.0 bored out to 2.3. Apparently the intake, brain, etc. are still 1.7. I swithced to a 2.0 MAP sensor of of Ebay that passed the suck test and seems to run things smoothly (apart from the afrorementioned stalling).
Someone did take of the wax plug and fiddle with the adjustment screw before I put it on. WHo nows if its at the right setting, but it runs smoothly on start up and when fully warmed up.
Thanks again!!!!
SpecialK
Since all of the FI gurus seem to be on vacation, try out the site by Paul Anders..........super informative about the D-jet FI.

Ander's FI site

He also has a good troubleshooting section on the site.
krazykonrad
Thanks! I may have to go back to school and get an engineering degree butthere seems to be some great info on there!
beer.gif
Konrad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.