Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning up the chrome
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markb
The 72 now has paint, and I'm starting to gather all of the pieces together in preperation of reassembly. Looking at the chrome on the window guides, and across/up & down the sail panel/targa bar, I see a fair amount of scratches. Can I just sand with fine paper, then buff? It looks like it may be anodized, & I don't want to screw it up worse than it is. It's going to be a daily driver, so I'm not looking for perfection.
TIA.
anthony
It's annodized aluminum - not chrome. You can polish it out and then have it reannodized clear for a factory look or clear coat it with paint for a shiney look.

Joe Bob
VERY fine grit sand paper.....then a clear coat. Be careful not to dent with pressure it's thin walled. Then a coat of clear.

personally I don't like shiny stuff being next to the Great Pacific Salt Bath.....I anodize stuff black.....
Spoke
The passenger door window guide between the window and wing window on my 71 had some big scratches from some sanding machine probably from one of the paint jobs. I took it off and started with 400 wet/dry sandpaper, went through the anodized finish until the scratches were gone.

Then did the entire guide with 400, then 600, 1000, 1500, rubbing compound, polishing compound, then metal polish. Now it looks very nice. Did the same thing with the windshield trim which was badly scratched. Looks very nice now.

Spoke
markb
Thanks, all! That's what I was looking for. Maybe I'll just black it out, which was my original idea.
JoeSharp
Mark: Black and don't look back. No work and no polishing.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
markb
Can you post a few more pics of that car, Joe? My bumpers are already painted body color, so mine would look similar if I went blacked out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.