Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn it was wet at the Bremerton AX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Mantra "Roll on the Throttle", "Roll on the Throttle", "Roll on the Throttle","Roll on the Throttle"!

Didn't work, back assward again, and again, and again. I had the concept of lowpolar moment of inertia pounded into my brain. Either that or I am absolutely terrible. And it was cold and windy. Too bloody awful for pictures. I had to take all of the carpet out of the car cause we had to run with the windows down to see. It's all wet. Why do I drive a 914 in bloody wet Washington. We need a smilie with a snorkel.

The only good news is we didn't bust anything.

Argh,

Oh, I did beat the pup clap56.gif

Dave
Bleyseng
Its hard to drive in the wet as any slight mistake and you are backwards!!!haha Glad I didn't come. av-943.gif
Trekkor
I don't enjoy a/x or track driving in "the wet".

It's just not fun more than once. For me...

Plus, if it's wet the conditions are changing constantly, so some guys get an unfair advantage when it clears up for them. :umbrella:

Glad all is well.

I bailed on our first big Zone a/x last weekend. Should have had 80+ drivers. About 20 showed up on Saturday and Sunday was cancelled.

KT
turboman808
thats when ya bring the front drive
DNHunt
We had about 75 in the rain. I don't know maybe we are just nuts up here.

Dave
Bleyseng
QUOTE (turboman808 @ Apr 8 2006, 05:18 PM)
thats when ya bring the front drive

even those guys fly around backwards! sad.gif
DNHunt
We didn't change from the streets. I'm not sure the stickies would have been worse. The streets are 205 50 15 Falken Azensi with about 1500 miles I put on them and 1500 miles Dan Root put on them and whatever Scott Klein put on them. The first run Gerry spun twice with power oversteer and complained about a push too. So I went to all soft on the Koni's and went from 36 to 32 in the rear and 32 to 29 in the front. We still couldn't stay pointed the right direction so I went to 26/28 and we got rid of the push. Neither one of us could control our right foot. I got in 1 clean run of 63 for 4th out of 6 or 7 cars and change TTOD was something like 53.

Incidentally, the guy behind me on the grid was a GT3 who looked ready for bear. I'd see him in my rear view on the grid and I swear he was glaring at me. Everytime I spun I kept thought about getting T-boned. Damn right I got the clutch in.

Dave
J P Stein
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Apr 8 2006, 05:40 PM)

Incidentally, the guy behind me on the grid was a GT3 who looked ready for bear. I'd see him in my rear view on the grid and I swear he was glaring at me.

Yellow or black?
Gint
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
john rogers
At the vintage race in Phoenix 2005 it was raining and I bought a set of the Goodyear Eagle G19 rain tires and the wetter it was, the better they worked! I went through several large puddles under braking and they were magic. They were so soft that they do not need heat to be put in to work, but slightly high in the points addition for runningt an auto-x I guess.
dinomium
I am glad I got while the gittin was good! I could tell that the weather was tanking, Shane had burgers and guiness for his birthday bash, so I lunched there...

Really great to see you and the boy today.
cheers,
TeamAxisRacing
yeah i didnt end up going there cause it was wet and i stayed out to late the night before. beer.gif
DNHunt
JP

Yellow GT3

Dave
J P Stein
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Apr 9 2006, 04:19 AM)
JP

Yellow GT3

Dave

I hope you ruint' his day.
He's prolly the source of the Porsche/porcupine joke.

The guy in the black one is just bloody fast.
DNHunt
I tried to talk to him but, I was just an annoyance. He got red flagged on a run cause there was some debris on the track. He wasn't happy. It weren't me that left the shit. It was one of the guys in another lane a few cars ahead of me that dropped something and laid down a nice sheen. As often as I was backwards I would have liked to blame it on the oil. A rerun would have been nice but, he got it and I didn't.

Next time up I dumped the clutch at the line. I doubt I through anything his way but he stayed back a little further on the grid.

Dave
J P Stein
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Apr 9 2006, 06:02 AM)
I tried to talk to him but, I was just an annoyance.

Yes, you are and not nearly cool enuff to talk to.biggrin.gif

rhodyguy
good thing you had your toasty 914 to drive home in biggrin.gif . i would have prefered 25* and sunshine. the wind was a real ass biter! what time did you finish up? again (like the last 3 times i've run there), gtu gets the #3 run group for the day. i hate it. did fordal bring his car out of the trailer? see you at 1 dave. i think the fellow in the yellow gt3 is the same person that made a bunch of new friends in p-land sometime ago. he gave me a stern lecture about me not "sprinting" out to right a cone fast enough. i told him to show me how to do it or leave me alone. i guess pestering course workers was his track assignment for the day. another new friend. av-943.gif

k
drgchapman
Glad to hear you beat Gerry. Keep the kid lookin' over his shoulder.

Yellow GT-3............Val Kory, what a prick. I like most every one.......he is a dick. (insert dickhead smilie)

Beat him two years ago in the blue stock 914 here in PDX, boy was he no fun. What a ......oh I guess I made my point.

Rain is tuff, need great throttle control, must be patient. Hope no Subys around, they kick ass in the rain.
rhodyguy
yep. that's the guy. complete tool. his car needs some orange cone scars. as he walked away after the ass chewing, my wife asked "who the hell was that guy?". jeanne rarely curses. even the "h" word is not part of her vocabulary on a regular basis. he is the prick on the inside.

k
J P Stein
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Apr 9 2006, 08:05 AM)

Yellow GT-3............Val Kory, what a prick. I like most every one.......he is a dick. (insert dickhead smilie)

So much for tact av-943.gif
sixnotfour
He got his bell rung , had a pretty bad crash at (SIR) Pacific Raceway last year in the rain. BTW
rhodyguy
that's too bad.

alfred.gif

k
Porsche Rescue
I was there the day Gary met Val. It could have been ugly if Gary had less restraint. First and only time I've seen drgchapman really angry.
dinomium
Huh, wow, I have talked with and even had Val as an instructor, seems like a decent "my way or the hiway" kind of guy. He even pulled a handful of hardened bolts out once when I was stitching the RSA that I was crewing for at Portland...
confused24.gif

I was there at Pacific Raceway the day he crashed, it was BAD! Took them FOREVER to cut him out of the car...
Porsche Rescue
Did he buy another yellow car or fix that one?

That is the one that was beaten in AX by a 914 2.0.
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Apr 8 2006, 05:15 PM)
I don't enjoy a/x or track driving in "the wet".
It's just not fun more than once. For me...

i made a note in my notebook ... "Trekkor doesn't like rain!" ... that'll help me next season for sure (if i manage to get an early start) ...

driving in the rain is all about "experience", just like driving in the snow ...

i've done both for decades, and i feel very comfortable with both.
in fact, one of the big advantages of driving the big track in the rain, every time you come out of a corner, you can see your exact line in the rear view mirror!
i'm not kidding, it can help you a lot to find a good line around a track ...

you can still drive fast in the rain (or snow even) you just have to drive differently.
all you need is practice.

so, my advice to trekkor:
DON'T DRIVE IN THE RAIN! ph34r.gif

happy11.gif Andy
Bleyseng
Yep, that is true Andy. I like the driving in the rain its the cornerworking that totally sucks!!!!!!!!!You really learn fast how to keep the car balanced and get the feel for keeping on the edge but in control. Now, if I only had more time for racing.....Well, I have been invited to go road rallying in Suriname with some crazy guys there on the dirt roads. Racing is racing.

As KevinP said, it seems like GTU (the 914 guys) always get the last run group (and half the cornerworkers have gone home) mostly.
I have gotten the "talk" from several of those guys like Val..... I just reply "Who the Fuck are you....you run out there in the rain, asshole". They are usually trailered up and long gone too by the time the 3rd run group runs. flipa.gif

I have also been scolded by the PA lady for using a cell phone ......haha did I laugh.
rhodyguy
huh. he totals a pretty spendy car at PRI, i figure you can't call the insurance agent on that one, and he's back in the seat of another one? pretty deep pockets. where did he wreck the car on the track? last corner before what used to be the main straight away or the chicane at the end of what used to be the hot pits?

k
ChrisReale
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Apr 9 2006, 08:05 AM)
Yellow GT-3............Val Kory, what a prick.

I agree, he is a jack ass. Never liked him, seriously thought about slapping his face a few times. smash.gif
rhodyguy
jeanne was impressed i didn't throw the extra stack of cones at him. i'm a calmer human these days.

k
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

I agree that driving in the rain presents a different challenge and you can still go fast or at least practice lines.

It's not you that I would be worried about, it's the folks around you. I gave up driving in the rain for 3 reasons:

1. Slicks....I don't carry rain tires. Roger Kraus will hand cut slicks with the Goodyear Gatorback design for rains btw....

2. The biggest reason....too many people around me driving over their heads in the rain. Once it starts raining, people go off. Unless I'm the only car on the track or have room, I've had a few close calls from guys overdriving and getting too close to me with a spin. I don't want to bend my car.

3. Not fun for me.

If you have fun in the rain, go for it!

Just watch out for the other folks who may do something you can't control.

Bill P.
roxx914
For anyone who cares...

Sorry about the rain, but it's a bit out of my control.
Linda and I had to run in it too! And yes, it is not the most fun, but it is good for the experience.
Thanks to everyone for coming out! It was a good turn out despite the weather.
Hopefully this means that we'll see all you fair-weather-racers out when the weather improves!
For now I guess it will be us die-hards -- Linda and I have to be there, otherwise, no event! Ah, well, more experience, right?

The run order rotates. So those of you who keep running in the last group, don't just come out to every third event! The schedule (and quite a bit of other good info) is at
PNWR Autocross Rules and Info
It says 2005, but it's for 2006! wink.gif

Also, I know I'm quite busy at the events, but I really don't know many of you on sight. So please come up and introduce yourselves next time!

And I also can't do much about Val. If you can get to know him he can be...well...amusing? But he's somewhat unapproachable and often a hard-ass. But he's been doing this a long time and he does mean well.

dinomium
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 9 2006, 11:23 AM)
huh. he totals a pretty spendy car at PRI, i figure you can't call the insurance agent on that one, and he's back in the seat of another one? pretty deep pockets. where did he wreck the car on the track? last corner before what used to be the main straight away or the chicane at the end of what used to be the hot pits?

k

He lost it at the transition from the old hot pits back to the straight-away. I did a course walk two years ago, I REALLY didn't like the look of that. You have 60 year old concrete that was never ment for a race surface and then the WALL! ACK! I think val has a road gt3 and a full racer too... the wrecked car was a 993

Thanks to Tim... I didnt run this event, but it takes great volenteers to pull these off! I love the rain, just want a few more drives in my new to me 914 before I start flogging this one too!
Oh, yeah, Val is VAL!!!!
wink.gif
dinomium
This means time for Dino to go scam a burger! Just like golf and skiing in the rain... been there done that! Sure it is fun, but so is being dry!
DNHunt
Tim

Nice job yesterday under difficult conditions. It seemed to me that there were enough corner workers for the 3rd group. Despite the weather and the well distraction, Gerry and I had a good time. Cold and wet but, happy in all. We just need practice

Dave
rhodyguy
you do understand the value of your rear bumper, right? the hot pit to race track conversion was weird. those jersey barriors at the end, guys going 2 abreast, things get tight quick. better than the old corner 10(?)-coming down the short chute, cornering and exiting on to the first 200 feet of the dragstrip. the high traction compound is crazy stuff.

k
dinomium
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 9 2006, 05:18 PM)
you do understand the value of your rear bumper, right? the hot pit to race track conversion was weird. those jersey barriors at the end, guys going 2 abreast, things get tight quick. better than the old corner 10(?)-coming down the short chute, cornering and exiting on to the first 200 feet of the dragstrip. the high traction compound is crazy stuff.

k

Yeah, either way, it just aint pretty in the rain! Don't think bumpers would make much difference there. Look at where there front strut USED to be an the rear brake rotor was broken in a couple of spots...

Danger lurks everywhere on that course. The back section, the trees are WAY to close for comfort for me...
Jimmy Clark style! (NothatIamsayingIhaveeverbeennoreverwillbeinhisleageofdrivingskills)
Joe Ricard
Well, if it make all ya'll feel worser Michael and I had a great day. 70 degrees and sunny dry as a bone.
It was Michael's 6 th birthday so we let him ride his green machine around the course.

I co-drove a Ford F150 with 550 HP. on street tires witha detroit locker . Might as well a rained. wacko.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.