Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Science Channel Sez 917 is the ultimate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
Interesting show, ultimate cars, SUV's(Amusing bit where they let the soccer mom owner of a turbo cayenne get her head bounced off the side glass by the hot shoe driver), racers, GT 40 # 2, Auto Union bullet car from the '30's was #3.

How did they keep that thin fiberglass body from getting caved in at 230 mph? Must have been reinforced somehow. How cool would it be to have a carbon fiber bodied 917? They probably have the molds somewhere, hmm. smiley_notworthy.gif

Cool show, I give it 2 thumbs up
reddog
icon_bump.gif saw it...don't forget they (FIA) banned the 7 liter Fords also.... and they had just a big dumb 4 barrel beer.gif
lotus_65
there have been more than a few ferrari's that have hed rules written to address their competitive advantage. i think it has less to do with the body/engine of a car than the ability of their tuners and engineers to interpret the rules to their advantage.

in many cases, it's just about bending the rules.
ClayPerrine
Mark Donahue called that the "Unfair Advantage".

Read his book. It describes the Trans am series in the 60s where they ran the Sunoco Camaro. They won a bunch of endurance races with it because they figured out a way to use engine vacuum to suck the brake caliper pistons back in so that the mechanics could change the pads faster. IIRC... that trick was banned the next year.

I always use that as an example of "thinking outside the box".
alpha434
QUOTE (Tobra @ Apr 8 2006, 08:20 PM)
Interesting show, ultimate cars, SUV's(Amusing bit where they let the soccer mom owner of a turbo cayenne get her head bounced off the side glass by the hot shoe driver), racers, GT 40 # 2, Auto Union bullet car from the '30's was #3.

How did they keep that thin fiberglass body from getting caved in at 230 mph? Must have been reinforced somehow. How cool would it be to have a carbon fiber bodied 917? They probably have the molds somewhere, hmm. smiley_notworthy.gif

Cool show, I give it 2 thumbs up

A guy in australia has a full set of factory molds. He had an article in Excellence in regards to a 917 that he built from parts that he had stolen out the back door of the factory. Real cool. Got painted in more gulf colors.
dry.gif

Don't get me wrong. Gulf colors look great. But be original. Jeeze. I like the purple/green psychedelic 917 the best anyway. But this is getting off topic.
Trekkor
The 917 segment is starting *right now*... drooley.gif
grantsfo
This was the true unfair advantage:

user posted image
Trekkor
My car sounds like a 917... laugh.gif
Spoke
I saw the Chapparel 2J "sucker car" run at Watkins Glen. I think it qualified 3rd or 4th in the CanAm race but was not competitive because it would suck up loose gravel from the road which would end up breaking the drive belts for the fans and had to make numerous pit stops to change the belts. It had a snowmobile engine to run the fans. It was outlawed because it would throw up rocks and debris at following competitors. It was a real cool car and one of my all time favorites.

Spoke
Dr. Roger
i wonder if the width and wheelbase are close to a 914's???? blink.gif happy11.gif confused24.gif

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.