Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT....alarm monitoring via broad band.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Anyone have broad band/cable internet and have your alarm monitored thru that service?

Looking to shut off my landline and the only thing holding me back is my home burglar/fire alarm.

Found these guys....

https://nextalarm.com/index.jsp
Aaron Cox
what if your cable is down?
KaptKaos
Not a good idea to use broadband for alarm lines.

/geek on

Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) lines function when you have no power. In fact, there is a little voltage on a POTS line to drive the phone. Broadband does not have any power, so any alrams or other such things will not work when you lose power (which would happen during a fire).

Anyways, most mission critical systems still retain POTS lines just for that reason. Hospitals, police, fire, etc.. all have backup POTS lines.

/geek off
Joe Bob
My cable modem has a back up power supply as does the alarm.....

The alarm is a stand alone system. All I'm looking for is a company to monitor it when I'm not at home or on the rare occassions when we travel.
r_towle
If the power goes out on your road, or in your neighborhood, the cable switching equipment will be affected...no cable.

To do it right, you would probably need to buy a different main base unit for the alarm...

It could use old fashion radio, fm channel, private line for a backup, or cellular..both of these systems exist.

Alot of your home can be monitored via the internet...
There are alot of new products that utilize the internet for home automation.

You do need to think about the alarm requirements..
It will go off during a fire (so will the power)
It will go off during a break in (so will the power..if they are smart)

Find a system that uses either radio, or cellular for a backup, you will be fine...

Then, when you are away, you will be able to call your house and manage other things as well...like you lights, your heat etc.

Look up home automation, on google.
Rich
Flat VW
We use this product, pretty much plug-n-play. alarmnet - C

The challange with all alarm communication methods is the amount of time that the network (all nodes) can operate on stand-by power.

On the fire side, National Fire Protection Association Standards require up to 60 hours of stand-by power for commerical fire alarm systems.

Early on, with the evolution of networks there were some proven concerns about stand-by times, I haven't heard any of that for some time.

I am also a distributor for this Internet Monitoring product although I have put none in.

Wireless is the "wave of the future", lately, we install a number of different radio products.

regards, mueba.gif

John
grantsfo
Satellite with a battery backup or cell phone are better than either cable or phone service that can be cut.
Joe Bob
Lines in....all can be cut. This isn't a Rocket Science Security system.....it's to keep the dumbfuck crackheads out and to monitor for fire while I'm away.

If someone REALLY wanted in, they could get in. My only concern in most cases is when I'm away.....which is rarely.

If a perimeter alarm trips WHEN I AM THERE....are responded to by me and my .40 Sigma and thirty rounds in two clips.

Thanks for the links
Joe Bob
What would be best....a cell phone that dials ME when the alarm goes off.....if I can hook it up to the alarm box.

Flat VW
Can be done, maybe even with your existing alarm equipment.

Kinda begs the question though, how well versed are you in home fire extinguishment?

John happy11.gif

QUOTE(! @ Apr 17 2006, 02:43 PM) *

What would be best....a cell phone that dials ME when the alarm goes off.....if I can hook it up to the alarm box.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.