Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Just posted this on Flat-6.net:

Well, here we go. I just bought my Pop's old 1970 914 today. It needs a lot of work, but it should be a really fun project car. I was looking at older miatas, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck with a 914.... and it's way cooler. Anyways, to the point; My 914 has a blown tranny. I want to at least convert it to a later side shifter, but a beefier 901 or 915 isn't out of the question, since I will be building a BUILT motor based on a 2.0 case pretty soon. However, I don't really know completely what is involved in converting to either one(side shifter included). Any info to help this ignorant kid would be greatly appreciated.

I also forgot to ask if the 901 is only a 4 speed. Otherwise, I'm excited about my new undertaking, but a little nervous as well...... I don't get out much, so we'll see. I'll keep you posted on my progress if anyone cares. Thax
Mark D.
Aaron Cox
unless you are over 250 lbs of torque... a 901 wil suffice. smile.gif

do a search here, TONS of info.

Thomas and Joe Sharp here taught and helped me build my short geared 901....

AA

sideshift conversion -
internal shift forks
shifting mechanism (tranny side)
shifter (73+ sideshifter cars)
73+ tunnel shiftrod
73+ engine bar
73+ shift rod
73+ sideshifter tail cone smile.gif
GeorgeRud
Look for a sideshifter 914 transmission from a 1973 on 914, and get all the linkage parts. These do come up on EBay and this site often enough. It makes a difference.

Shop carefully, or your project can end up costing much more than you might think. These parts are starting to get rare, old, and often worn out if used.

Porsche doesn't seem to care to stock parts anymore, though sometimes you get lucky.

Enjoy the project, this hobby has kept us going for the last 36 years or so. My one car has been in my care for the last 29 years, and my other one has been my project for the last 13. There's always something that can be improved.
SirAndy
901 is 5-speed. i just got a complete side-shifter tranny. you'll need all the linkage as well as the actual shifter itself.
also, you'll need the later style motor mount, the later linkage won't clear your early mount bar.
get a complete set of new shifter busings while you're at it and make sure you get the correct "conversion" bushing for the firewall ...

the 901 can easily handle 250 lbs of torque, so unless you go really nuts on that new 2.0L, you'll be plenty fine with the 901 ...

welcome.png Andy
BMXerror
Wow. You guys reply quickly. Thanks for the info, but of course I've got more questions. I know you have to flip the pinion gear on the 915 tranny and machine the case to make room for it to work that way. Is it the same for the 901? Also, would a 901 use the same late model linkage, or is it altogether different? Also, what the hell is this supposed to mean mrs.K.gif ? .... WTF.gif ... haha... just havin fun
Mark D.
rick 918-S
Board moves fast around here. welcome.png

That's Mrs. K. (Lisa) She is a Ripped Ballet Dancer. mrs.K.gif
BMXerror
Oops.... forgot... I need a different clutch and flywheel for the 901 tranny, right? I forgot to ask because that stupid emoticon was distracting me!
Mark D.
rick 918-S
Same clutch,
r_towle
Welcome to the club.

I will say this before Cap'n does.

The tranny in the 914 is a 914 tranny.
The 901 was in the early 911 cars..R/P were reversed.

the 915 is also a 911 tranny.

The 914 tranny, either side shifter or tail shifter is Based upon the 901, but made specifically for the 914.

You can make a 915 work, but the 914 tranny works fine for most applications.

There are some special parts you can get, Lmited Slip, Billet intermediate plate, and probably more I dont know about..

So, when you are shopping, make sure you are buying a 914 tranny, not an early 911 tranny.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE (BMXerror @ Apr 8 2006, 09:44 PM)
Oops.... forgot... I need a different clutch and flywheel for the 901 tranny, right?

oh, i see you know 911s ... biggrin.gif

when we (the 914 guys) say 901, we mean the 914 version of the 901, which was officially never called 901 ...

so, when i (and most everyone else here) refer to a 901, i mean a stock 914 transmission ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
r_towle
Just wanted to make sure he was choppin for the right things...

R
BMXerror
Well, that makes things a lot simpler. 051103-stupid4.gif
Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I'll be seein ya from now on.
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.