Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any ideas for a place to install a kill switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
On an impulse I bought a new kill switch from a club member. It came with no directions...
Any advice where would be a good place to mount this thing?
Is it worth it? I mean, do they really help stop theft---or just the honest thieves?

Looks like you could mount this in line pos or neg to cut the battery, or cranking power, or it also has some smaller switches built in to perhaps cut the power to the coil, maybe the fuel pump?
SirAndy
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Apr 8 2006, 08:39 PM)
Is it worth it?  I mean, do they really help stop theft---or just the honest thieves?

uhmm, they're not for theft protection ...

they're there to save your life! huh.gif

this is a "race" item. they're supposed to be mounted on the outside at a easy accessible location so anybody outside the car can kill the engine while you're pinned inside your wreck ...

typical locations on a 914 is the front cowl area or the little side-pieces next to the engine lid ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
r_towle
That is a traditional racing kill switch.

The point of it is to have a big switch for a course worker to grab and shut off all power to your car in the event of a crash.
That switch is meant to be mounted in the open, in plain sight. Mine was mounted next to the engine lid.

It will do what you want, but if you are looking for a hidden kill switch, there are much easier ways of doing it with smaller switches...

Rich
EdwardBlume
I have a kill switch type of thing in my 74.... even if the seatbelt is in, the car won't start unless I get up off the seat...... ???

The switch you have is racing gear as Andy pointed out...
Aaron Cox
mine will be mounted to the rightside small engine grille...

used on racecars to cut the ignition etc....

and it looks cool tongue.gif
r_towle
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Apr 8 2006, 11:47 PM)
I have a kill switch type of thing in my 74.... even if the seatbelt is in, the car won't start unless I get up off the seat...... ???

The switch you have is racing gear as Andy pointed out...

on the seat belt buckle, look for the little electrical plug...unplug it.
Also unplug the wire going to the seat cushion...

Rich
Aaron Cox
hear hear!

for future reference.... for the guy that finds this thread 10 years fromnow....

"How does one install this as to not fry anything?"

"Is it just a simple switch?" "What are the smaller spade terminals for?" "is a relay inside?"

Aaron Cox
hear hear!

for future reference.... for the guy that finds this thread 10 years fromnow....

"How does one install this as to not fry anything?"

"Is it just a simple switch?" "What are the smaller spade terminals for?" "is a relay inside?" [/quote]
Hey what a great idea aaron!

There are 2 types of switches, a 6 pole (seen above) and a 2 Pole (cheaper kind)

the 6 pole has a built in resistor to not fry your alternator (one one of the aux circuits)

the same function and alternator friendly ability can be done with a 2 pole. (but apparently easier to just pay 50 bucks for the pole type)

stolen from pelican

What they suggested on 914 club was to do that-run a seperate wire from the alt to the battery side of the switch, so that when you hit the cutoff the alt still sees the battery as a load and doesn't spike. That should work, but if your cutoff is on the front cowl that's a fair amt of wire-at least in my case, where my batt is located in the former gas tank space and the cuttoff is near the driver's a pillar.
Aaron Cox
add a diode if that doesnt work
Pelican writeup

URY914
Here's mine. Mounted not far from my ear so I can reach it while in the car.
URY914
wink.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Apr 8 2006, 09:44 PM)
this is a "race" item. they're supposed to be mounted on the outside at a easy accessible location so anybody outside the car can kill the engine while you're pinned inside your wreck

Then add one of these decals so it is easy for the safety worker to find.
shadygrady
where do you get the decal?
race914
QUOTE(shadygrady @ May 8 2006, 07:37 PM) *

where do you get the decal?

Racer Parts Wholesale is one place that carries the decals

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.