Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting and welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I have decided to add some strength to the car. I welded up the connection between the rear shock tower and the longs. I then added some more for good measure. I finished installing a support from the fire wall to the inside trailing arm ear as well. there is a lot more to do and as mentioned my neighbors aren't going to like me for a while. smash.gif

user posted image

army dude
You are doing this why? I have a v8 also and thought about additional support. Are you ,akimg your own support pieces and welding them in as you go? Pics here will be great . I will really be watching!

Ian in Iraq

19 days till Baghdad
32 days till stateside
39 days till driving
Andyrew
IMHO this is not necessary unless you have really stiff springs in the back, and sticky tires.

But im all for going over and above!

Personally, I'll be going slicks, and 275's on the back, so I personally need it stiffer..

What size springs are you planning on using?

If anything, you removed weight...
turbo914v8
Found something else to work on. Like I said it never ends and that’s a good thing. I am sure you will be finished in record time as always. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
drive-ability
smash.gif I am just not sure what is really over-doing with a V8 car. Its hard to really know until it brakes! Making it as strong as I can from tip to tip is my goal. With a strong transmission I have been known to hammer the clutch from a dead stop. I surely need input on anything 914. pray.gif

"I have 200 lb springs"

user posted image
drive-ability
Strut installed connected to the inner ear and the transmission cross-member. smash.gif

user posted image
army dude
i have never seen a brace like that before, how did you come up with that idea?

Ian in Iraq
drive-ability
QUOTE (army dude @ Apr 9 2006, 08:54 PM)

Ian in Iraq

The idea is to secure the rear trailing arm inside "ear". I have seen a number of track cars set up in this manner. I will be adding a lot of steel / weight to the car. Since I am running a V8 its not a big issue. Surely I am no expert screwy.gif and will likely add allot of steel I don't really need but it will be strong. I am running a 930 trans so I can hammer the throttle a bit more than most conversion cars. I want the extra strength there if its needed. smash.gif

I am working on building something like this to further secure the frame. It wont do much for twist but that comes later. flag.gif

user posted image
turbo914v8
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Apr 9 2006, 11:25 PM) *

QUOTE(army dude @ Apr 9 2006, 08:54 PM)

Ian in Iraq

The idea is to secure the rear trailing arm inside "ear". I have seen a number of track cars set up in this manner. I will be adding a lot of steel / weight to the car. Since I am running a V8 its not a big issue. Surely I am no expert screwy.gif and will likely add allot of steel I don't really need but it will be strong. I am running a 930 trans so I can hammer the throttle a bit more than most conversion cars. I want the extra strength there if its needed. smash.gif

I am working on building something like this to further secure the frame. It wont do much for twist but that comes later. flag.gif

IPB Image

Trust me you need all the bracing\strengthen you can get. Ask me how I know. Last year at 3/4 throttle I ripped the drivers side longitudinal 90% right through. Not repairable, solution was\is to secure a new chasse and start over and this time I will be tying all 4 corners together with the aid of a 12 point cage and numerous chasse strengthening steel re-enforcements through out. My advice is strengthening all that you can. Better to be safe than sorry.
nomore9one4
Looks good.I would lik eto do that so I can cut my trunk floor out for better access to the motor/tranny driving.gif
drive-ability
Hey by the time I am done the car might weight 4k lbs chowtime.gif You can get at the transmission area much essayer and that's a nice option. "Paul" your 3/4 throttle is twice my max hp poke.gif I am tentative to nail the throttle with 400 hp, I would need a sedative to nail your throttle down.. drunk.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.