Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: avatar issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
i didn't have any problems deleting my old one and uploading a new one.
at least i didn't think so at the time.

and it all appears to work as expected from the home computer (where i uploaded the avatar...)

the work system is a different story. it -still- shows me the #22 car avatar i was using before. so i have no idea what's going on...

i -just- cleared the browser cache so we'll see what comes up when this post appears...

so - what avatar are -you- seeing ? the yellow #22 car or the red 935 ?
Brad Roberts
Yellow 22.

B
Brad Roberts
I hit refresh and now I see 935 red.

B
DuckRyder
red 935
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 16 2003, 11:37 AM)
I hit refresh and now I see 935 red.

me too !

it's gotta be more than the browser cache, tho.
just what are you holding in those cookies !?

either that or every single 914 Club USA page identifies itself in exactly the same way and the browser has no idea the underlying content has changed.... in which case - what good did clicking the 'clear cache' button do for me... there are downsides to using beta browsers :-) ...

( " Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030811 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1+ " ) in case you were wondering - Pentium 4 optimised. it -is- fast ... still seems pretty stupid about plugins tho ...
airsix
When you click the Internet Explorer refresh icon it doesn't actually fetch a new copy of the page and graphics. It just "redraws" from the data in memory. You have to hold the Ctrl key while clicking the refresh button to get a fresh copy of everything. Do this and you should get an updated copy when you change avatars.
-Ben M.
Jenny
I have the same problem. Seems to me no matter how much I toy with it, it never changes until a couple hours later, then it automagically changes it to my new avatar. confused24.gif

Jen
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(airsix @ Sep 16 2003, 12:43 PM)
When you click the Internet Explorer refresh icon it doesn't actually fetch a new copy of the page and graphics....

actually it appeared to work just fine on the machine with IE; it's the work machine with Mozilla Firebird that i had to smack physically to get it to reload - even after i told it to clear its cache !
Charles Deutsch
Sometimes this happens when you come to a site through a bookmark. Try coming in through a different route (after you delete the cookies on your hard drive).
airsix
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 16 2003, 12:47 PM)
actually it appeared to work just fine on the machine with IE; it's the work machine with Mozilla Firebird that i had to smack physically to get it to reload - even after i told it to clear its cache !

Mozilla rocks. You just need to hold the shift key when hitting the refresh button.

LISTEN EVERYONE!!! To see your new avatar do a Ctrl+refresh if using IE or shift+refresh if using a Mozilla/Netscape variant.

Here's some details regarding Mozilla caching policy:
If you have some images that are currently being displayed in one of the windows of the browser and you clear your memory-cache, the images that are currently being drawn out by the layout engine are not removed from the image-cache. This is why you didn't see the new avatar after deleting the cache.

When you hit the Reload button, the browser checks to see if it has the document in its cache. If the document is present in the cache, It will then send an If-Modified-Since request to the server. Depending on whether the server sends a new response or a 304 (use local copy) the browser displays the corresponding document. This is why just hitting refresh doesn't usually work. It's the server's fault.

When you hit the Shift+Reload (or Ctrl+reload for IE), it does a plain GET or an unconditional request and hence you never get anything from the cache. This will get you the new avatar every time. (actually it will get you the new everything)

-Ben M.
Charles Deutsch
The other day, I signed up here, logged in, bookmarked a page and then left. I then closed down my browsers and deleted all of the cookies on my hard drive. When I went back by clicking on the bookmark that I had made, the site displayed my name etc. I then closed down my browsers, deleted all cookies, erased the cache files, turned off the computer and went back to the site using the bookmark and the site still knew me. When I deleted the cookies on my hard drive and entered the site directly (not through the bookmark), the site no longer recognized me. There was information in the bookmark URL that identified me to the web site.
SirAndy
if you use IE, make sure that in your "Internet Options" (Tools Menu), under "Temporary Internet Files/Settings" you have "Every visit to the Page" checked ...
that'll make IE check for newer versions of pictures and other content every time you load (or reload) a page.
Rusty
Andy's tip will work... but if you're on dial-up, you might not want to use all that bandwidth if you look at the same pages repeatedly. It'll really slow you down.

Control-F5 is a wonderful thing.

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.