Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Starter Replacement Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
don9146
Anyone else have this problem? The new starter I bought has the soleniod and field housing backwards on the mount compared to the one I took off of the car. If I mount the new starter upside-down so the field housing is away from the transmission and will fit, the wiring will not reach. If I rotate the starter the other way, the field housing interferes with the transmission. A few pics may help...

Pic 1: Note that the starters are mirror images of each other. The new starter is on the left.
don9146
Pic 2: With the starters turned so the field housings are pointing the same way, the wiring will not reach.
don9146
Pic 3: The bendix on the old starter was toast and not mating properly with the flywheel anymore.
Dr Evil
A couple of things you can do. Extreme = gut the new starter and put guts in old case. The wiring is easy inside the case, but I would not recommend this action for the faint of heart. The other, much easier way is to just extend the wires. An easy way to do this is to add a hot start relay. I have one and have the unit in your pic so far as I can tell (it was a tight fit with the wires) and since I have a hot start relay it helped with the majority of the wires. Your large hot from the battery may need replacement with a longer one, though because this doesn't go to the relay. Only straight to the starter as I am sure you know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.