Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: strange electrical problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jflash914
We have a strange electrical problem on my sons 75 six conversion. With the engine running you can hear the flasher relay clicking slowly (should not be activated at this time) and when you put on either turn signal the bulbs flash extremely fast. Also if you set the emergency brake the red light in the gauge rapidly flashes with the engine running. If you shut the engine off and leave the ingition on all turn signals and emergency brake light flash normally. We checked grounds by the fuse panel, engine bay , transmission strap, front trunk area etc. and all are good. We checked bulbs and tried a new flasher relay and still the problem exists. We tried disconnecting the emergency brake bulb and also the turn signal bulbs in the gauges but that didn't help. We disconnected the tach and the problem was still there. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I was hopeing DD could shed some insight into this issue.
Thanks!!!
Dr Evil
Just a quick thought. the red flasher light for the parking break is a simple circuit. The wire grounds out throught the switch under the drivers seat that the handle contacts. Just a ground to check. They both work off of the flasher relay. Wish I could help more, but I gotta study so at least you got a icon_bump.gif
Racing916
icon_bump.gif
Spoke
What are the voltages to ground at the terminals of the flasher?
Terminal 31 is ground
Terminal 49 is 12v.

Do these voltages change with the engine on or off?

Also, what is the voltage at terminal 49A with engine on or off?

Does the turn signal lamp in the tach flash when the flasher is blinking slowly with the engine on?

Spoke
Racing916
Spoke and Dr. Evil thanks for the suggestions, we will try them out and let you know.

Thanks!
Steve
Dave_Darling
Sorry, no thoughts to add at this time. Keep going through the system, checking things. Grounds, fuse connections (are the fuses OK? ends of fuses and/or holders clean?) and so on.

--DD
jflash914
Does the turn signal lamp in the tach flash when the flasher is blinking slowly with the engine on?

Spoke,
No, the lamp does not flash when the flasher is blinking slowly with the engine running. I also had the engine running and turned off the lights in the garage and looked to see if any lights through out the entire car were dimly lit or flashing and could not see anything but still heard the flasher relay clicking.

Thanks
Tobra
If the dash lights flash when the car is on and the parking brake is engaged, I think that is normal, or I hope so, because that is what mine does, may have to hit reset button on master cylinder.

I had all sorts of turn signal issues, replaced the relay and it fixed it, used a 4 prong relay from a 69-70 VW bus($10 at local shop, vs more than twice that for the "Porsche" one from pelican, no offense DD) Plugs into the fuse block. I also could hear the relay click, and was told that meant it was working, which it turned out not to be.

My contacts in the signals were all oxidized a bit too, used a pencil eraser to freshen them up a bit. One of my bulbs had a very attenuated filament, for whatever reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.