Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 90 amp Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenpolives
I'm about to enter the high power world of Alternators, (club memeber here sells them). Does anyone here had good or bad things to say?
Thanks
DNHunt
Me, I have one and it is fine. I can't say I'm aware of any difference with it but, It works well.

Dave
KaptKaos
hijacked.gif

When I am driving at night, with the lights and the stereo on and I stop for a light. If I have my directional blinking, after about four blinks, instead of one directional light on the tach blinking, both will blink faintly.

Does this mean that I need a high output alt?

Lemmie know.

Thanks!
bd1308
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Apr 9 2006, 07:13 PM)
hijacked.gif

When I am driving at night, with the lights and the stereo on and I stop for a light. If I have my directional blinking, after about four blinks, instead of one directional light on the tach blinking, both will blink faintly.

Lemmie know.

Thanks!

That sounds like a grounding problem. My car did the same thing, and at the time I thought that was the biggest problem I would have to deal with, but now with all of the crap I had to do on this car, that blinker thing is WAY down the list. But it is indeed a ground issue.

b
bernbomb914
I had a stock one doe to 90 amps aand am very happy with it. It stays in the green with everything on. I had it done in San Diego.

Bernie
rhodyguy
do the higher amp alts help the the idle die down when everything is turned on? it's annoying when pulled up to a light.

k
MecGen
Hi

I bought a rebiult unit for a 72 Bus, cheap from Bosch. ph34r.gif

Slight mods to the cooling duct, and its ben working for 15 years now, 75 amp. Good standard upgrade.

Later

beer.gif
McMark
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Apr 9 2006, 05:13 PM)
hijacked.gif

Lemmie know.

Thanks!

Britt's right. You have some electrical contacts to clean if you want to solve that issue. It's a resistance issue, not an amperage issue.
davep
kenpolives please contact me right away.

Dave, I'm glad your unit worked out well. Yours was one of the first shipped out. I think only about half the guys have the cars running with them already. Lots of interest these days.
John
I had a stock one doe to 90 amps aand am very happy with it. It stays in the green with everything on. I had it done in San Diego.

Any alternator shop that can work on the stock alternator should be able to convert the unit to 90amps locally.
DNHunt
The only thing I have noticed is when I start the car it must reach about 1500 rpms before the alternator light goes of and I see the Voltage climb on the gauge. I don't remember that from before. At first I thought I might have a belt slipping but, it's fine. After it kicks in it charges fine.

Dave
jim_hoyland
I'm also looking to upgrade due to some of the same reasons, What would an alternator rebuild at a local shop cost compared to Dave's $300 price ?

computers4kids
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Apr 9 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Bernie

Do you think one of these 90 amp alternators would sufficiently supply a high wattage inverter powerful enough to run a small "electric AC" unit--I'm thinking out loud. I wonder if a small unit mounted in the front trunk accessing air like the factory ad-ons and it's output tubed to one of the under the dash bolt on units.
What do you think?????
rhodyguy
dave, does your idle fall off when you have a number of the systems are energized?

k
davep
Do you think one of these 90 amp alternators would sufficiently supply a high wattage inverter powerful enough to run a small "electric AC" unit

No, nowhere near enough power. Plus the inverter wastes a lot of power, and the compressor start current is about 4 times the running current. If you want AC get a big engine from Jake and add an original aftermarket kit. You would probably want a new compressor though.
DNHunt
Kevin

The idle falls off a little.

I think that's relative to load. The greater the electical load the more resistance the alternator has to turning and the more it loads the engine. All alternators will drop the idle.

It's more noticable with this engine as it doesn't have as much real low end grunt. The stocker held idle better under load. I'm hoping to run an idle air controller with the fuel injection that will essentially crack the throttle minutely when the idle falls. But, that's still in the future. The way it is isn't too bad. I just step the idle up a little and run the idle a little high all the time.

Dave

rhodyguy
another cool feature of those gdmnd' webers. jeanne commented on the idle during the road trip while driving. 30 seconds, an adjustment of the idle speed screw, and it was all good.

k
DNHunt
One screw on a throttle body.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.