Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: International Drivers License
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I am looking at getting an international drivers license for the anticipated move to Turkey and was wondering if anyone here has ever gotten one.

I found about a thousand web sites that offer them but was unsure if they are legit. confused24.gif
michel richard
I would make sure you need one. I know many countries will let you drive on your current license, unless you move there for long, in which case you need to get their license.
xitspd
Very easy to get and well worth the time and effort. Many of my friends use them.

Dan

TimT
There is a difference between a "international drivers license" and a "international drivers permit"!

The license sites you see are bogus, and just remove your money from you

You can get a one year permit from AAA that is recognized by many countries....

look here
Joe Bob
Got mine from AAA when I went to Deepest Mexico...
shelby/914
The ones from AAA are valid, but check out the rules for the countries you are going to. I got one from them before a trip to Egypt. and another before I moved to Germany. After I got there, found out I needed an International license issued by the country I was living in whinch was no longer the US but West Germany. So I got another one issued in Stuttgart in addition to my USAREUR license. Of course that was 1989.
Rick_Eberle
When I moved to L.A. back in '95, I had an international driver's permit. In my first week there, I found a place to live, my 914, and a job, in that order. On my third day of driving the 914, and my sixth in the U.S. I got pulled over on Laurel Canyon Blvd. for having a dangling licence plate light (in the daylight, of course).

I showed the cop my Australian license, and the International Permit.

End result??? A $290 fine for driving without a license. He was happy enough for me to drive home, though! It must have been quota day.
cbenitah
there are some new rules regarding that. I can use my Swedish License here no problem. I have showed it to many cops during my years here and they all said its fine. even spoke to the DMV about it and yes, it is ok.

During my winter break I went home and I got caught speeding in my friends M5 wacko.gif and all I had was my american license. No problem at all.. Its more important that you have A license than where its from.

But, get one when you get there. Its easy and will be avalible in english (have friends from there)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.