Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory carbed 75 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
I thought this rather rare, a factory carbed 75 914. Car is on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...1QQcmdZViewItem
boxstr
pic
Hammy
seller doesn't know?
MarkV
Twystd1
Am I looking at what I am looking at????

WTF???

OK: I need some help here...

Senor Crusty...where are you!!!!!!!!!

Clayton

-
redshift
Yes, Cray-Tron.

That is the front edge of a carb air box.

Yes. Nice photoshop!

M
ejm
Looks like the VW bus dual carb setup to me confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
Stock Euro 1.8L were like that. Maybe this car was a federalized import or a bus motor was swapped in? Get the engine code it will tell us what it is.
Bleyseng
Its a USA model car (front side markers) so my bet is that is a bus engine swap in cuz they look like the bus carbs.
Now if they are 40mm Solex's then they are from a 914 as the bus ones were 34mm. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The carb you see on the left side of the engine is mounted backwards. The idle circuit inlet tube goes on the flywheel end of the carb. I'd have to see more pix to determine the true nature of this setup. The Cap'n
Bleyseng
bus carb
pib
So what does it all mean? I've been watching this car since it was listed, and I e-mailed the seller for more details on the motor today after I saw this thread.
Is it worth looking at? Or should I run screaming? confused24.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (pib @ Apr 10 2006, 10:15 AM)
So what does it all mean? I've been watching this car since it was listed, and I e-mailed the seller for more details on the motor today after I saw this thread.
Is it worth looking at? Or should I run screaming? confused24.gif

good chance some yo-yo replaced the FI with carbs....how important that is is up to you (the buyer)...some people won't care and others will....

the main thing is the integrity of the chassis...the method of fuel deliever is very minor and should be a non-issue unless one does not work on thier own car
dinomium
Good looking car, USA tail lights, side markers, most likely a convert. Id say if it is not rusted beyond repair, it could be a great little driver...
drewvw
QUOTE (ejm @ Apr 10 2006, 02:31 AM)
Looks like the VW bus dual carb setup to me confused24.gif

agree.gif Somebody email the guy and ask for the engine serial....
pib
Did that earlier today, waiting for a reply.
Mueller
QUOTE (pib @ Apr 10 2006, 11:39 AM)
Did that earlier today, waiting for a reply.

easiest is to ask if he still has the original FI parts laying around the shop smile.gif
rhodyguy
strange ad. i wonder if he means "headers" or new heat exchangers? cold car for winter cruising in redding with headers.

k
MarkV
It has early gauges. The center console is from a A/C car & doesn't meet the bottom of the dash. Shouldn't it have a smog pump?
Mueller
QUOTE (MarkV @ Apr 10 2006, 12:02 PM)
It has early gauges. The center console is from a A/C car & doesn't meet the bottom of the dash. Shouldn't it have a smog pump?

smog pump?? It "shouldn't" have the carbs biggrin.gif

besides, only the 2.0 smog motors had air-pumps..
Cap'n Krusty
The throttle plates generally waer out in less than 40K miles, and they're NLA. Never get it to idle right. The Cap'n
Lou W
What about smogging it here in California, would there be a problem with the carbs?
drewvw

Is there anything that the Cap'n doesn't know.....I haven't seen it yet in my short time here.
Tobra
QUOTE (Lou W @ Apr 10 2006, 11:19 AM)
What about smogging it here in California, would there be a problem with the carbs?

If it is a '75, no smog test.

I would check to make sure everything works, looks sort of pieced together to me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.