Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8--what to get
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
As i have been looking around the v8 threads, and thinking to do one myself, what engines work best...chevy vs ford or other crate motors, or what...
thanks

-Peter
redshift
I like Ford, but for a kit, Chevy is easy.

The best motors are high-revving, lowish torquers, if you plan on staying with a stock 901.

http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/chv64.html

There's a link with Chevy specs by year/block/numbers.

M
riverman
I'm doing a conversion right now, and unlike you, I didn't ask the right questions at the start. The Chevy conversions have been around the longest, and as such have the resources and experience behind them. Like Miles noted, the best Chevy motors are the high reving, less torquey motors like the 327, 287 and such.

That being said, I think the best match for the 914 are the Subaru motors. Their boxer 4 engines are based on a Porsche design and the power/torque characteristics match up well with the 901 transmission. Lots of guys are doing them and there is plenty of info available now. Do a search on the site for suby conversions.
neo914-6
Check my thread on non-OEM engines in my signature. Chevy is done the most, only one member who installed a Ford V8...

As Miles points out, engine torque choice is also limited by which transaxle and budget. Conversions aren't cheap when all is said and done...
WRX914
Here is the Subaru engine in my car...

WRX914
The only thing that you do not see that needs to be mounted in the above picture is the intercooler. Which sits on the far right of the engine opening.

boxstr
The Chev is the easiest to mount since th edistributor is at the rear of the motor and the fords are on the front.
If you are looking for a ready to build car check my website under project cars, www.camp914.com
CCLINWHYASUBWHENUCANHAVEAV8
wbergtho
Check out Renegadehybrids.com and rodsimpsonhybrids.com
914-8
What to get?

Get one that someone else has already done!

That way you can get it for 25 cents on the dollar.
Mueller
ditto on the no kit for Fords....there are a few 289 and 5.0 conversions..the adapter plate/flywheel is available from Kennady Engineering.

the dizzy issue can easily be fixed by going crankfire which is very simple on the Fords since you can use factory parts. (same for the chevy)

turbo914v8
I have lots of extras for the Chev conversion PM me if interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.