Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumperettes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
19144jt
I have 1 75 that I am backdating the bumpers to the steel type. I noticed my front steel bumper had no holes for the bumperettes. I looked carefully at it and it didn't appear to have any filled holes etc. (it looked like they were never there). I don't want ot offend anyone but I don't really like the look of them either. I wondered if I could just leave them off? It won't be a daily driver anyway, just a weekend here and there out in the mountains.

John biggrin.gif
URY914
They started in '73 with the fronts only. In '74 both front and rear had them. '75 changed completly.
Porsche Rescue
You have a '72 and earlier bumper. Leave 'em off.
boxstr
I don't think to be excepted here that you need to add bumperettes. I fact I wouldn't ever drill a good chrome bumper to add bumperettes. Your luck you have a non holey bumper.
Let me know if you need any assistance in the backdating I have done more than a few.
CCLIN75TO73
rhodyguy
i wouldn't drill an earlier, early bumper(72' and down) to install the bumperettes. i switched my 73' bumper for an earlier one. the stock 73's with the bumperettes on the front and not on the back looks unbalanced to me.

k
19144jt
Boxtr,

I have the bumpers, dogbones, foglights and grilles. What else do I need? I know I will have to cut the lip off the front where the plastic bumper attached but that is as far as I have got so far (the wife is forcing me to work on her damn 924 so I haven't had time to go any further). spank.gif
rhodyguy
4 bolts and washers and yur good to go. the bolt hole placement is sort of crucial. find an earlier car to get the correct measurements. the round fogs attach with a captured nut on the trunk side of the front of the car. again, placement, is important so the fogs match up pretty close to the grill openings. there will be some adjustment with the brackets.

k
boxstr
After removing the BBB you will see the tabs at the sides of the front and rear fenders, those need to be removed. The at the front you need to remove the lip that runs across the front in front of the rubber hood seal. Note you want to try and keep part of that lip so you have a channel for the seal to sit in. You can remove the lip in front of the headlights.
I would recommend getting a set of 4 threaded studs to screw into the new bumpers rather than using bolts, they mount so much easier and you can do it by yourself.
Why don't you send me a pic of your car withthe bumpers off an dI can point out some of these modifications. Send to camp914@comcast.net
Craig
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.