Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 930 slave cylinder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
I am creating a hydraulic clutch for my 930 gearbox. It seems to make more sense to place the slave on the drivers side and pull the clutch arm towards the front of the car (more room to work with on this side...if you mount it on the pass side it hangs way too low...)

What have you guys done?
wbergtho
One more thing...What size M/C have you used??
byndbad914
Bill,

I shortened and welded 3/4"x1.5" .120 wall square tubing onto the small piece of the stock 930 arm, then made a simple bracket to bolt with the adapter plate. Mine is inverted, so you would just have to do this "upside right" so your slave would run under the trans, not over it like mine. Also, I made a steel 90deg bracket instead of the male rod end I show in this old, original pic. The force to engage the Kennedy clutch bent that little puppy immediately (which I suspected may happen, but had an extra one so thought it was worth a try).

You want the arm to be about 4" or 5" total length centerline of slave attachement to c/l of trans fork shaft. Longer and you may not get full engagment of the clutch, shorter and you will have huge pedal effort and a really short pedal motion.

I used a .750" m/c per Wilwood's recommendation base on the size of their salve, but I have a 4" arm. I am going to try the .700 and .625 that I have for the brakes to see if I can get a little less pedal effort and longer pedal motion. If I had a 5" arm, the 750 would probably be fine, but I couldn't have mounted it like I did as the arm would hit the adapter plate (4" was as long as I could go).

hmmm, it doesn't like the "size of my attachment", my fiancee says it is just fine. The pic was sized pretty small to begin with, must be a grower not a shower picture... ???

here is a bird board discussion I had with a guy that had issues with his setup - the "professionals" that did the hyd conversion for him apparently weren't so professional. A pic of my setup (with the old rod end still) is in there.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=274987
drive-ability
IPB Image

My fork is 6" long center to center. Below is a link to a picture of the slave. I have a KEP pressure plate (Stage1) and my pedal effort is light. If you go with a short fork and I consider a 4" short you pedal effort will be harsh. I chose the long rod so I could recess the master higher up away from the pavement. If you don't it will sit low. Its a pain in the rear setting up a system that works and has low pedal effort but it can be done.

http://members.cox.net/angelpuppy234/930%2...%20under%20view
army dude
Howdy Guys!!!

I plan on a 930 in the very near future but am a little curious now of this. Are you doing an upgrade or is this the only way for it to work? I haven't done alot of homework yet but I want to do it once and right! I will follow this closely!!

Ian in Iraq

25 days till stateside
32 days till driving
wbergtho
If you have a very heavy PP, you might find that the cable stretches and doesn't work well. Hence, a hydraulic m/c and slave cylinder to cure the problem. You should study this carefully...because if you choose a m/c too large, the pedaL effort will be HUGE. If you match the m/c appropriately to the slave...you will find a happy median. Seems that most guys are running either a 3/4" or 7/8" m/c with a Wilwood or CNC slave. I'll post more info once I'm done with my hydraulic conversion. I'm using a Tilton 3/4" m/c and a Wilwood slave (1 3/16" max stroke). My Wilwood slave should stroke approximately .80" with a Tilton 3/4" m/c. I called Tilton and they did the math for me. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.