Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megasquirt conversion progress!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Last week (right before the board went down) I finally got my Megasquirt installed and it works! Fiid and I spent some time driving and tuning my car last night and we got it totally drivable in a matter of hours!!

Megasquirt is awesome!

So far it has:

- Shown me my CHT was flakey (spikes in the CLT data)
- Shown me my voltage regulator is intermittently bad (Vbatt spikes to 17V, you have to turn on Vbatt logging)
- Made my car go fast for a 1.7 (or whatever it is)
- Almost stranded me once due to a lockup of the megasquirt (I think this might be related to the 17V issue above)

All things considered it is a huge amount of work but totally worth it. laugh.gif
ThinAir
For those of us who have missed earlier items, refresh our memories on just what you are doing. Is this one of the prebuilt MS units that keep getting mentioned or did you build it yourself?
McMark
Nice job Jeff! Everything I've seen tells me MegaSquirt ROCKS. I can't wait to get my own setups runing.
yarin
Congrats!! Isn't it a LOT of fun when things work out? It's a really interesting educational project that can yield amazing results. Definite WOW factor too when u show it off.

I've had to tackle the following problems as of late:

idle at 2500rpm, maybe my throttle body is letting too much air past the plate. will try to plug the holes in the plate later.

stuck open injector (replaced, went through 2 gallons of gas in maybe 10 mins of idling... where did it go?? yikes) changed the oil, it wasnt good. gas out the exhaust like mad.

here is a datalog of a clip still idling on jack stands. didnt touch acceleration enrichment yet. my WBO2 needs to be slowed down a bit.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/...65&d=1144878939

post your datalogs, i'm curious what your numbers look like. What settings did you use for injector control? Keep up the good work!
crash914
Way to go!

isn't it fun?

I had a great run this morning....changed out my coil yesterday, I was getting rpm spikes to 24K rpm.
I still had a drop to 0 rpm though.

my AFR is very close and I leaned every thing out a little.

Now to fine tune the off idle enrichment.
drewvw

smilie_pokal.gif
Awesome...I am sold on this megasquirt conversion. That's on my list now....
crash914
can't seem to add a picture...bummer
DNHunt
Way to go Jeff and Yarin too. There's getting to be a few of us guys now.

Jeff

The CHT thing may not be a problem. Remember this is an adaptation of a water cooled system and because of that the CHT as seen in MS isn't close to right. Temps are are reported like the sensor is in coolant. Beyond that above 215 degrees the lookup table gets very flaky with lrge jumps between what few values there are. On top of that temps approaching normal running temps for our heads are reported as sensor failure and seen as 170 degrees. The result is when the engine is warmed up and under load the temps in MS will bounce back and forth between 215 and 170. It will look a lot like a noisy signal but don't worry about it because warmup enrichment stops at 160 degrees. This really bugged me at first but it doesn't affect how it works so I've just accepted it.

Dave

crash914
Dave, except when you get a lot of cold enrichment due to the flakey coolent sensor...... dry.gif
DNHunt
Not a problem Herb. MS just ignores everthing above 160 degrees. It ain't pretty (actually, maybe it is) on MS log viewer but who cares.

Dave
JeffBowlsby
Nice Job Jeff! Way to Go! Anxious to see it whenever you have a chance.
mightyohm
Hi Dave,

I set up my CHT sensor config with the temps divided in half - ie. 160 displayed is actually 320 at the sensor. This makes it such that full warm up is around 140, which is nice that I can actually read the temp (the gauges stop at 240 or something, don't they?) but it's a little low and I am always indicating WARMUP because the temp is below 180. I am still playing with the warmup numbers and I have found it is hard to get the right warmup encrichment without also accidentally going into warmup when the CHT's dip during decel. The Warmup wizard steps are kind of coarse.

If you could give me the details of your sensor setup and warmup values that would be very helpful.

I replaced the CHT (the old one of course stripped out, the new one is hanging on by 2 threads) and the spikes have gone away, so I think it really was a sensor issue. I was seeing drops of 50-100 degrees intermittently so I knew it was an electrical or sender issue.

Jeff

mightyohm
This was a V2.2 kit that i built myself. I upgraded to an MSII processor. I am also using a Tech Edge 2A0 WBO2 controller I built from a kit with the LSU sensor.

yarin - I am running 8 ohm injector resistors with PWM disabled. (in the spirit of KISS) Oh, and no ignition control (yet), and an AAR for fast idle. I'll send you a log when I get a chance.

QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Apr 12 2006, 11:32 PM) *

For those of us who have missed earlier items, refresh our memories on just what you are doing. Is this one of the prebuilt MS units that keep getting mentioned or did you build it yourself?

yarin
Sounds like you've got your Warmup enrichment setup nicely. I like the idea of displaytemp/2. Makes sense if its accurate across the board. I started my car up again tonight. For some reason the damn thing idles at 2400rpm. i plugged the hole in the throttle plate and then it dropped to 1700rpm. Something must be leaking somewhere, i'll have to run through it all with a fine tooth comb and figure it out. I had to slow down the response rate on the LC-1 to 1/6. That worked. I managed to get the idle dialed in tonight, thats about it.. hehe. I'm learning!

Keep up the good work and post results and logs!
crash914
Now I can't remember why I was going to post this....anyway, snap shot of megatune screen...
Dr Evil
Right on Jeff. One of the things that I was sad about when I installed my 2.7 is that is it CIS and I no longer needed to finish my MS. I did build a MJLJ, though and cant wait to set it up. Maybe I'll get some PMOs in the future and do the MS thing.......like when I start making doctor money in 10 years dry.gif
mightyohm
I installed a new voltage regulator (the solid state kind) and my supply voltage spikes seem to be gone. No resets of the MS recently either. I have had some problems with my Tech Edge wbo2 controller dying and spitting out 14.7:1 constantly. I am not sure what is causing this, it could be temperature related or an electrical problem somewhere. Dave, I think you run a Tech Edge box. Have you ever seen the red light go off completely and had the box stop outputting data (constant 14.7 AFR on the WBlin output, no serial port activity)?

Jeff
DNHunt
Jeff

You might consider a reflash of the WBO2 chip. Info on that is Here if you haven't already seen it. I haven't had any problems for a long while but I did use their Support Forum before and it was a little help.

I still using an Extra code on MSI so my temps are reported as the extrapolated values MS uses. Once it's above 160 and WUE is off I just ignore it. My only point was as long as the WUE is not triggered when the engine is warm the value is not important.

It looks like when I make the switch to MSII, I'm going to have some stuff to learn. I probably won't do it now as I have list of honeydo projects and Bugorama in May down in Sacramento along with WCC and Parade in Portland. So the car is going to get driven alot this summer and I don't want to be chasing bugs.

The white line jumping around is CHT

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.