Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - How to pick up German girls
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
Two days ago I was on my way to work. A block away from my house I saw a dog run into the street and almost get hit by a truck. I did not see any people around so I stopped my car. I got out and called and she came right over to me wagging her tail. She seemed very sweet so I took her home, gave her some food and water and put her in the garage. When I returned from work I introduced her to my 13 year old Shar-Pei (also a female). After the ritual butt sniffing, they both accepted the other as a friend. The cat was not nearly as pleased with the new addition. Today we went to the Vet. She is very skinny, but otherwise in good health. The Dr. said she is about 1 year old.

Allow me to introduce Lola. wub.gif

IPB Image
Dead Air
Are you going to run a "lost n found" ad in the paper. Not to sound like a jerk but...a child may be missing her dog right now.
elwood-914
Vegas, thanks for getting her off the streets.......I HATE seeing a dead dog on the side of the road......when I see a dead cat on the side of the road..................what were we talking about again?? driving.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Dead Air @ Apr 13 2006, 05:51 AM) *

a child may be missing her dog right now.

Finding the rightful owner was my initial concern. When I took her to the vet they scanned her and she has a micro chip. The owner on file is the local SPCA shelter. I called them and they have no information on who originally adopted her (and did not bother to transfer the registration). They also told me that there were no recent inquiries about a lost dog matching her description. The vet said it appeared she had been on the streets for quite a while. In fact, he would not give her any shots until she puts on some weight. (she measures 24 inches at the shoulders and weighs only 37 lbs) My dad still had all the newspapers from the past 2 weeks (waiting for his curb side recycling pick-up day). We looked and there was only one potential matching lost dog ad that turned out to be a false lead. I will keep watching the papers.

I do have a heart. Especially when it comes to dogs. I am also realistic. I am out of pocket $125 for the vet bill, food, vitamins, etc. You can get a cute 8 week old puppy at the pound for a $50 fee. A skinny 1 year old is not as attractive to many people. I have not come across a single clue to indicate anything other than a DAPO. I think this neglected German Shepard deserves the same love and attention any of us would give to a neglected teener that landed in our lap. If someone turns up with a credible claim, I will of course return the dog. I feel I have already exercised due diligence to locate them.

Adding another dog to my family was the last thing I wanted. She is house-broken but does not know any simple commands like come, sit or stay. She wants to play with the other dog but does not respond to a ball, frisbee or any other toys I have tried. She is under the desk at my feet as I am typing this. She will not eat unless I am also in the same room by her side. She is a sweet little girl and has a great disposition. I have known many dogs over the years and I can tell she is going to be a good one (with a little time and work on my part). I am confident I will be rewarded with unconditional love as our relationship grows.

Count the ribs.
IPB Image
tat2dphreak
she looks like a great dog, man! thanks for resuing her!
skline
So John, if you are going to take in strays, I am a stray and can be there friday smile.gif Can I use the car on days you are working? laugh.gif
rick 918-S
Nice work john. She looks to be a very kind dog. I hope she doesn't have and issues from beatings or abuse. Glad to see you saved her.
Joe Ricard
Definatley in need of some Bacon strips.
Good luck with your new german girl.
Man this is not whatI was hoping for opening this thread.
Joe Bob
FEEEEED MEEEEEEE

Nice new friend ya got there....
zymurgist
Good job, John! smilie_pokal.gif

I have a friend who picked up a Pug that he saw running around on a highway in Texas. He checked around and nobody had reported him missing, so he took him in and named him "Cooper" (after his new Mini Cooper S).
drew365
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 13 2006, 07:07 AM) *

Don't do it John! He's known to mark his territory by installing Chalon kits!

Well, the quote function is a little screwy, I was trying to quote Skline. You get the idea.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(drew365 @ Apr 13 2006, 09:49 AM) *

Well, the quote function is a little screwy, I was trying to quote Skline. You get the idea.

LMAO! don't accuse me of a chalon...
rhodyguy
she will be a beatiful dog when she puts on some weight and her coat regains some luster. yep, people love the pups. skinny strays need loving homes too. at your feet? you're her's now john. i bet, given time, she will learn some commands. nothing wrong with a dog that just wants to sit/lay next to you, waiting for a little petting and a few "good girl"s thrown in.

k
skline
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 13 2006, 07:03 AM) *

And what is wrong with Chalon's? I like mine, I built it for me. It's way faster than yours. What more could anyone want? smile.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 13 2006, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 13 2006, 07:03 AM) *

And what is wrong with Chalon's? I like mine, I built it for me. It's way faster than yours. What more could anyone want? smile.gif

nothing wrong with your chalon... but I didn't do it
Jenny
Good for you, John. smilie_pokal.gif Lola's beautiful, and it's nice to know there's people out there rescuing strays. Our beagles are runners. They're both microchipped. Brian and I always say, if someone found our dogs, they probably would just keep them, they're so cute. We will miss them, for sure. But we see the chip as a way to make sure they don't get euthanized, not necessarily as a way for them to return home safely. If they ran away, the best we could hope for (aside from them coming back to us) is they find a good loving home to live out their days.

Jen
Steve Thacker
John,
You are a person of the highest standard in my book. You have the compassion and empathy that I wish were in others I personally know. To the Mrs and I, we view these little companions as children who need our love and care. Some people look down on them as inferior to us. We understand that no human will ever be able to truly love unconditionally. With that said they have something that makes the playing field MORE than level.

clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
WRX914
John.

You are a true kind hearted person. You really are one helluva guy.

Keith
nocones
Jenny,

Who's phone # is that?
Are you taking calls...
whip[1].gif Jenny, Jenny!!! spank.gif naughty.gif
Steve Thacker
John,
Please keep us up to date with Lola. The Mrs and I would really like to follow her progress, as we love happy endings.

That is if you have time....
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Apr 13 2006, 01:58 PM) *

John,
Please keep us up to date with Lola.

Update: Friday afternoon I went out to do some errands. When I returned home there was only one dog in my back yard. A short time later a neighbor knocked on my door and told me he had seen the skinny German Shepard jump the 5 foot wall and bolt down the street. He was unsuccessful in his attempt to chase her down. I did a few laps of the neighborhood, but came up empty. Maybe this is why she was running the streets in the first place.

I would like to believe she decided to return to her original home, or maybe the next person who finds her will have better luck. I wish Lola the best. I enjoyed her company in our brief time together. I guess I am glad that I did not have a longer time to become to attached. I do know that Monarch and Alpine are happier since she is no longer here.

In 1998 there was an award winning German film titled 'Lola rennt'.
The American version was called 'Run Lola Run'.
God Speed little girl. You will be missed. sad.gif
redshift
You did good though. Heart warming.

Thanks, John.

M
seanery
Damn, what a heartbreaking thread!
Aaron Cox
she got wind that the chalon was coming over!

you did good tho!

AA
JB 914

Don't do it John! He's not housebroken and his pee smells like propel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.