Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nomex on-Flame away!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Curvie Roadlover
I'm sure I'll need my TRIPLE LAYER NOMEX SUIT for this post but here goes:
In the last few days I have come across alot of pics, here and on Pelican, of '75 and '76 cars and I'm really starting to love those rubber baby buggy bumpers blink.gif They make the cars look sleeker (at least to me anyway). OK lemme have it fighting19.gif
Brad Roberts
Yep.. I hate them. I never ever use them on ANY of our cars... LOL

Damn near everybody in the racing community has figured out they are a tad more aero dynamic and offer a ton of room to place crap behind them.

B
Mike T
No flame from me, I agree. I like the chrome bumpers least of all. Even the painted bumpers are preferable to me. I'm not talking hate here, just a preference. beer.gif

Mike T.
EdwardBlume
Where can I send the gasoline?

I think the bumpers are the real reason there's no '77 or '78 914s.

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
J P Stein
Just about everybody in the racin' community uses em' cause ya can't cut the old style front bumper for a cooler.

Doan really matter much, tho, 914s couldn't get much uglier. blink.gif
Alfred
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 21 2003, 12:20 AM)

Doan really matter much, tho, 914s couldn't get much uglier. blink.gif

Hey! I think 914s are puurdy! finger.gif

Alfred
MJHanna
NOW I find out you can't cut the old ones for a cooler. happy11.gif All the stuff I learn from the net smash.gif
JeffBowlsby
The late bumpers are sleeker looking and update the car...especially when mockd up in fiberglass...but I still like the early style. It has a more vintage look.
SirAndy
now that's a really cool front bumper aktion035.gif
just wait until you see it with the new paint on it !!!!
J P Stein
I gots one of them also, but I don't try to run it in any of the SCCA road race classes.
joea9146
It grows on you after a while:
Dave_Darling
If you read through magazine articles from the mid-70s, just about all of the journalists of the time thought that the later bumpers improved the looks of the car. So you're not alone in those thoughts. There are a few books out there that contain collections of magazine articles about the 914 from back then. "Porsche 914: Gold Portfolio" is one such.

I like the early bumpers, myself. In part, like Bowlsby, because they look more "vintage". And in large part, because I associate them with all the weight that was added in 75-76. (A lot of it in the bumper frames and bumper shocks.) I know you don't have to have the weight (FG bumpers, swap out the bumper frames, etc.) but the association is there anyway...

--DD
fuch toy
Chrome sucks....the 75-76 bumpers are good fer putting stuff behind them, but still are uglee, heavy and look like Dave Darling with a hang over..... mueba.gif
Dave_Darling
LOL!!! That was me at the start of the Roadglue run this morning...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.