Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I was adding a Pertroix ignition to my 914 yesterday (wires, coil, etc too) and found out I was given the wrong unit for my "vaccum" advanced 74 914 with stock distributor. I should have been given an 1847V which curves around the arm for the vaccum advance. Anyway, according to Pelican Parts website, the fasted delivery they have won't get it to my house which is about 3.5 hours away until next Tuesday--!and that's paying almost $40 for overnight. How can overnight mean days during the work week?

Bottom line, my car is torn apart and I am looking for a parts store that might carry this animal. I have Kragen, PepBoys, Napa in Visalia, CA 93292. Does anyone have any suggestions, I would really like to get it by Saturday at the latest???
Thanks,

Sorry...I tried to load a pic but that part of the site must not be quite working yet.

THANK YOU ANDY FOR GETTING US BACK UP!
Cap'n Krusty
Help? Just run the points/condenser and drive it! Keep 'em in the car, BTW. You'll most likely need 'em when the Pertronix does what it does .............fail. The Cap'n
computers4kids
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 13 2006, 06:12 AM) *

You'll most likely need 'em when the Pertronix does what it does .............fail. The Cap'n

Sounds like you're speaking from experience! Do you like to leave the ignition stock? The impression that I got from others and the board, the switch was a win-win. BTW, I could put the points back in, but I would rather just finish what I started to do.

Oh yeah, my 74 is L-jet.
SLITS
Yellow pages.....nearest VW store
hmeeder
The impression that I got from others and the board, the switch was a win-win

It is for Pertronix! I've been through 3 units before giving up on them. You'll see from the website that you should never leave the ignition on for more than 30 seconds or risk burning the unit out. It's easier to do than you may believe.

I have since gone with a compufire unit and have had better luck, but I still keep a set of points with me everywhere I go.

Do a search for Pertronix on the board and you'll see many many responses about them crapping out. There are some people who endorse them and never had a problem. I'm not one of them.
dstar
QUOTE(Sparky @ Apr 13 2006, 06:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Part Pricer @ Apr 13 2006, 07:28 AM) *

Is this thing working?

Ummm yup!! shocked[1].gif wub.gif w00t.gif

I have 4 Pertronix ignitors and the only failure I've had was an NIB bad one, which was
replaced by the parts store with no Qs. One of them is 6 years and 50K miles old....

If I'm working on something that requires the ignition to be left on, I just unplug it.
EASY PEASY.

Don

computers4kids
QUOTE(dstar @ Apr 13 2006, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Sparky @ Apr 13 2006, 06:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Part Pricer @ Apr 13 2006, 07:28 AM) *

Is this thing working?

Ummm yup!! shocked[1].gif wub.gif w00t.gif

If I'm working on something that requires the ignition to be left on, I just unplug it.
EASY PEASY.

Don

Good tip...I didn't realize leaving the ignition on could fry these puppies! Thanks
Quite a few mixed emotions on Pertronix here.
Tobra
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 13 2006, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 13 2006, 06:12 AM) *

You'll most likely need 'em when the Pertronix does what it does .............fail. The Cap'n

Sounds like you're speaking from experience! Do you like to leave the ignition stock? The impression that I got from others and the board, the switch was a win-win. BTW, I could put the points back in, but I would rather just finish what I started to do.

Oh yeah, my 74 is L-jet.

He is speaking from a position of Krustiness

Either wait for it or put the stock stuff back on until you get your stuff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.