Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From the other thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
My engine dropped a valve seat. Not cool. mad.gif

But Garold has donated his 1.7 to me so I can run it, while he disassembles my 1.7 to learn more about it smile.gif

burnout.gif

So the plan is to get the old engine out on sunday and get the new engine from Indiana somewhere, and bring it home and install it on monday and tuesday.

I'm also planning to build a hot cammed 1.7, with Megasquirt and a raby DTM. Yeah yeah i know the 1.7 sucks and whatever, but all i need it for is to drive around town, and cruise 75-80mph. The DTM should keep the heads cooler and in the longrun i plan to build a 2270 (later down the road) and having a working megasquirt system should help things out quite a bit.

b
rhodyguy
ask your "boss at the shop you sort of work at" to take one of the type 1s off the lift so you can roll the 914 in for the transplant britt.

k
bd1308
i'll see what I can do. Sure would make the transplant easier, but then again one has to wonder just how much easier it could be to drop engine, seperate PP and clutch and put them back together and put engine back in?

b
nomore9one4
If I was about 1500 miles closer I would give you a hand. I am sure you when the chips are down they will come running! mrs.K.gif good luck! driving.gif
bd1308
I am going to order viton pushrod tube seals and the intake gaskets. anything else ya'll think I'll need?

I have oil cooler seals, i'll do that while the engine is out smile.gif

b
MattR
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 13 2006, 07:42 AM) *

I'm also planning to build a hot cammed 1.7, with Megasquirt and a raby DTM. Yeah yeah i know the 1.7 sucks and whatever, but all i need it for is to drive around town, and cruise 75-80mph. The DTM should keep the heads cooler and in the longrun i plan to build a 2270 (later down the road) and having a working megasquirt system should help things out quite a bit.

b

WTF??? Someone is DONATING an engine to you, and you're going to drop almost a grand in COOLING?

Britt, if you dont have big bucks to spend on a rebuild and you're accepting donations because you're a kid, cool... but if you have the money to spend on a DTM, cam/lifters, megasquirt with tuning, and the other rebuild costs, throw in some money for the engine. Thats just wrong.
bd1308
now I can see why the Capn gets so Crusty.

nobody reads the posts.

I'M ALSO GOING TO BUILD, meaning at a later date and VERY slowly.

You're right I dont have the $$ now, but with two jobs and a good paychecks, i'll have it soon.

b
SLITS
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 13 2006, 02:41 PM) *

now I can see why the Capn gets so Crusty.

nobody reads the posts.

I'M ALSO GOING TO BUILD, meaning at a later date and VERY slowly.

You're right I dont have the $$ now, but with two jobs and a good paychecks, i'll have it soon.

b

Duh!....What was your first clue? Matt can't read...he works for Porsche
MattR
"I AM GOING TO BUILD" means something different in california........ I guess.......

blink.gif

So in the same paragraph, you said " i plan to build a 2270 (later down the road)". So you're going to build a 1.7 later on down the road with a DTM then in the long future you'll build a 2270? Wont you want a six by then?
bd1308
nope.

staying four on the 914.

here's the order:

mrs.K.gif 1776 engine from Garold
mrs.K.gif 1776 build I mentioned before
mrs.K.gif 2270 way WAY later down the road.

b

The DTM and such are things I would need anyway and can be simply transferred to teh new engine.

I already have 2 MS systems, so I'm covered there.

b
Mueller
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 13 2006, 04:03 PM) *

nope.

staying four on the 914.

here's the order:

What the heck is a 1776???

do you mean 1679???

bd1308
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 13 2006, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 13 2006, 04:03 PM) *

nope.

staying four on the 914.

here's the order:

What the heck is a 1776???

do you mean 1679???

Thats what I meant. In 1776 the United States recieved thier Independence, so maybe I was a little confused.

After all, I'm studying in order to get a good job sometime in the near future.

wink.gif b
newto914s
I'd be happy to help. But I'm only going to be around tomorrow and saturday. Sunday I'm headed back to Cleveland then PR. Where in KY are you again? Two jacks, two dudes, two hours. and that motor should be powering a funiture dolly
bd1308
QUOTE(newto914s @ Apr 13 2006, 05:41 PM) *

I'd be happy to help. But I'm only going to be around tomorrow and saturday. Sunday I'm headed back to Cleveland then PR. Where in KY are you again? Two jacks, two dudes, two hours. and that motor should be powering a funiture dolly

I'll have to find out when the girlfriend comes back into town. I know she comes back friday, but I dont knwo what time....she's staying in louisville until sunday..Thats why I planned the swap for sunday.

I'll definately let you know, I dont wanna pass up free help smile.gif

beer3.gif b
Mueller
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 13 2006, 04:50 PM) *

I'll have to find out when the girlfriend comes back into town.

put her to work and make a proper tool wench out of her smash.gif
newto914s
Where are you located? I ask because I think I remember reading you're in Owensboro or Burbon KY, which is like 3 hours from me.
bd1308
QUOTE(newto914s @ Apr 13 2006, 06:01 PM) *

Where are you located? I ask because I think I remember reading you're in Owensboro or Burbon KY, which is like 3 hours from me.

I'm in Louisville,KY at this time.

b
newto914s
Cool, that's not a bad drive. Tomorrow, earlier is better for me, but when ever you know what works for you just give me a call. I'll pm you my number.
bd1308
she's coming in at 1pm. I'll see if I have any extra time, doesn't look good though.

sad.gif

good news is that i'm seeing my gf tomorrow.

b
scotty b
Told ya you didn't break the crank poke.gif icon_bump.gif
dwillouby
Britt,

I might be able to help Sunday.( If the wife lets me!) Do you have a truck to pick up the motor?
Let me know what you need. I think I have a set of CV gaskets. Ill check tonight.

David
bd1308
who said i didnt blink.gif

b
dwillouby
Checked on the gaskets. Wrong size must be for a 911. I can help Sunday. Let me know.
David
robby750
Britt, I would love to help you out but I have to work all weekend.
bd1308
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Apr 13 2006, 07:05 PM) *

Britt,

I might be able to help Sunday.( If the wife lets me!) Do you have a truck to pick up the motor?
Let me know what you need. I think I have a set of CV gaskets. Ill check tonight.

David

That would be wonderful! I need a 914 fix and getting a ride in a V8 914 would be just the thing burnout.gif

I could use those CV gaskets, I couldn't really decide what I actually needed from PP, and the timing was bad about getting it here before I dropped the engine.

Thanks for your help. I still need help with the welding of the Brad M clamshells and some other misc stuff, but that can wait for better days.

b
dwillouby
Britt,
Is it a go for Sunday? Let me know when and where. Any tools you need?
David
Cano
Britt:

I may be able to help Sunday in the a.m., depending upon family commitments. Should know something concrete by tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.