Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carpet Replacement "HOW TO"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
I've got a replacement carpet kit coming, and before I go head long into the project, I just wanna be prepared.

I've been told that, when installing the new carpet, overlap is everything.

Start with the sides, then the cetner, then the floors. But are there any hardware issues I need to know? Any tips ans tricks for smooth and professional looking installation? Anything that needs to be removed to get the job done correctly? (I'm assuming that probably the seats and center console is all I have to really worry about.. Correct?)

Thanks in advance.

Doug
freezing14
they key is use the right glue and a clean surface , clean like no particulate or treads or older carpet underside, some of the upholsery spray contact glue, pre-fit everything, watch for the park brake recess, it needs more glue , takes about 1 hr to install and 2 hour of ripping the old and cleaning it up
dagdal1967
QUOTE(freezing14 @ Apr 13 2006, 07:59 AM) *

they key is use the right glue and a clean surface , clean like no particulate or treads or older carpet underside, some of the upholsery spray contact glue, pre-fit everything, watch for the park brake recess, it needs more glue , takes about 1 hr to install and 2 hour of ripping the old and cleaning it up

Thanks...

What's the best place to get the spray apholstery glue? I know that they sell stuff like that at the local craft store, but is that stuff strong enough??

To get all the old carpet particulate and glue off, is something like GOO-GONE the best way?

Sorry.. I'm a novice at this particular piece of '14 refurb.

Doug
boxstr
I would advise against gluing the carpet in place. It will lay in place if it is cut correctly and is good quality material. The reason is that water and liquids can get under the carpet and if you need to clean it out, if the carpet is glued down , I don't think it will come out easily. And it might even tear.
Remove the center console and the seats, and the stock radio speaker housings.
Get a vacumn and clean ,clean ,clean. Also a good time to scrub the floors if really dirty. Also check your back window to see if it is loose. This would be the perfect time to glue it back into place. That way water won't get down behind the backpad and pool on the floor under the seats, soaking your new carpet and causing rust, or more rust.
CCLINCARPETERIA
Mike D.
The E brake handle will also have to be removed. And possibly the steering shaft coupler depending on the kit you got. I got a cheep kit so I had to use glue just keep it down, 3m spray stuff, but I only glued the sides and front pieces. I also had to cut some to make them fit better and the front driver side piece was slit to go around steering shaft so I just cut the old one off.
Demick
Like Mike said, use 3M spray adhesive to hold down the carpet pieces that run down the longs and over the center tunnel. This will help it to conform to the right shape initially, but doesn't stick well enough to cause problems if you need to remove it. After a few weeks or months, the carpet will have taken shape, so when you remove a piece, you will be able to put it back down with no glue. Pieces that go directly on the floor need no glue.

Demick
dagdal1967
Thanks guys.. This is great information..

I know the 3M spray stuff well, as I've used it on many occasions to keep things "in place" that needed to be removed later.

I hadn't thought about checking the window and the area behind the back padding for rust. All good advice.

What about the area where the carpet meets the door sills. Does any of the door sill hardware have to be taken out (or loosened) to make sure the carpet gets placed correctly?

D.

Bruce Allert
If I recall correctly the sills should come off. Lay the carpet along the sides with the sills off. Rub the carpet with your hands making it conform the the floor & sill area. This will show you correct placement. Watch where the holes are for the sill screws & allow enough carpet material to go under the sill. You can use an ice pick to relocate the holes thru the sill holes into the body when the carpet is where you want it. The sides were the most time consuming for me because placement was crucial. When mine were cut they were a wee bit short on material. Use the 3M spray sparingly. Like Craig said, eventually you will need to pull the carpet.

......b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.