Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Tires--which ones to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I need some street tires. I've used BFG G-Force T/A KD's. I like them in the dry, don't like them in the wet. I have SO3's and they wore well and seem to be fine in the dry or wet.

Anyone have experience with Yokoham AVS Sports and AVS ES100's? I'm looking at them and they are pretty good on price...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. This will be for the street, not for any competition.
elmonte
I have the ES100's. I think it's a summer tire only. Doesn't look like it will move much water. Great dry traction
Smooth ride, great price!
nine14cats
Yeah...the price on the ES100's is pretty attractive. Thanks for the info on the wet side of them.

Bill
VegasRacer
The previous tires I had on my daily driver (Dodge Stealth) were the Yokohama AVS Intermediate. I was VERY happy with them. I liked them much better than the BFG T/A's I ran before or the ES 100's that are on the car now.

Don't know much about how they do in the rain.
The only time they get wet in Vegas is when I wash the car.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 16 2003, 10:04 PM)
Anyone have experience with Yokoham AVS Sports and AVS ES100's? I'm looking at them and they are pretty good on price...

i -just- put a set of ES100's on the 911 before the East Coast Ramble - 225-45-16 front, 245-45-16 rear.
i like them! price was right, Tire Rack delivered standard ground in ONE day (DE warehouse...)
we are having RAIN and i like them. (actually, it's clear today, it was clear yesterday, but whatever's left over of the hurricane should be here tomorrow night ...)

until i get my pedal bushing issue sorted i can't say i've 'leaned' on them but the ECR tour was quite spirited and there were no 'moments' and no squeal.

if you like the pattern but want to go even more 'cost conscious' check out the Nitto 450. i ran those on the GTI and liked them a lot. pretty sticky even considering the high wear rating, also good i the rain. they actually came with a 'M+S' rating, which is of course completely ridiculous for any 45-series tire - but it kept me legal in the Sierra (where i never had any traction issues - just ground-clearance issues!).

we might go AX the car on these just for a familiarization run but they we intend them to be just street tires.
seanery
I just got a set of BFG KDWS for the teener. They got nice ratings across the board on the TireRack survey page.
PatW
I ran Yoko's on my "other" cars in the past. Grip is good but, they let go rather quick.
My .02c
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.