Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing vaccum advance with centrifugal???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Are there any downsides to swapping my vaccum advanced stock distributor with a bosch centrifugal advance distributor on my 74 1.8 L-jet motor??? Advantages??? Disadvantages???

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't have much knowledge in this area!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 13 2006, 10:27 AM) *

Are there any downsides to swapping my vaccum advanced stock distributor with a bosch centrifugal advance distributor on my 74 1.8 L-jet motor??? Advantages??? Disadvantages???

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't have much knowledge in this area!

Advantages: None
Disadvantages: Can't set the timing properly without running an idle so low the car might only barely stay running. Won't have nearly enough total advance. More, but I'm busy. The Cap'n
Bleyseng
I thought the Ljet dizzy was a mechancial unit with vacuum advance. If you are talking about the type1 009 advertised everywhere for more hp, its a pos, only has 17degrees of advance as its for a stationary motor!

Save your money and fix/rebuild your stock unit or buy a Mallory.
Mueller
if you went with a brand new mechanical advance MSD or Mallory, the "pluses" would be....

• new dizzy which should have way less slop
  • you can swap out the springs and get a custom adv. curve, either slower or faster.
  • you can also get vac adv. Mallory or MSD dizzy's as well, some people swear by them, some swear at them smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.