Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More assembly questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Making more progress... Should be drivable in a couple weeks. Brad, if you're reading this, good suggestion on the "make your own shift lever" in regards to my last set of questions. I just slid a 1/2" pipe over the short, stubby lever I had, cut it to length, drilled a hole for the 914 clutch cable, and it works great. I'll follow up with some pictures.

Anyways, more random questions... Hope someone can help:

1. fuel pump - stock 964 fuel pump that has been sitting on a shelf for about 4 years. Worked fine when I removed it, but now it seems to be "stuck". Draws a lot of current, but doesn't spin or pump anything. There is fuel to the pump. Do these need to be "primed" or something. What does that mean?

2. starter - I'm wondering if I have the wrong starter... I bought a "lightweight starter" that seemed to match up well when I bolted it up when it was out of the car, but it doesn't work. But, it doesn't have a nasty grind that I would expect if the starter was just wrong. When I try and turn the engine over, it will usually turn it over about 1/8th of a revolution and then just make a lot of loud clicks (not a relay/electrical click, but not a gear mashing click/grind). Very strange. Not sure what's up... It's a "lightweight starter" of unknown origin (are they the same for a 901 or 915?), 3.0 starter ring gear, PM lightweight flywheel, and an 84 915 transmission. Short of just trying another starter, any tips?

Whew... that was long...

-Steve
Brad Roberts
No problem Steve.. just trying to help. It was good to see you at the German thingy..

1. put gas in the pump (off the car) and let it sit for a few days (put gas in both ends) I'm betting it dried out from sitting. I'm also betting it will be fine.

2.take that starter off and go back to a 911 starter (SR68X) Your playing with fire.. and the rings gears are not easy to change out when you chew them up. I'm betting you bought the VW starter at the swap meet... there is a reason why I passed it up.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.