Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easy engine identification...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pib
Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm going to look at two cars this weekend (hopefully), and wanted to know what the differences are. The owner says he doesn't know what the engines are.

Can anyone point me at a reference for identifying 1.7 - 1.8 - 2.0 engines? Are there fairly obvious visual differences? Or does it really come down to getting the serial numbers?

Thanks,
-Pete
Mueller
1.7/1.8 have 4 bolts on the heads for the intake plenums, "true" 914 2.0 heads have 3 bolts

the main problem is that you don't know if the motor is original or has been opened up and modified....you can put 2.0 heads on a 1.8, you can install 1.7(with mods) heads on a 1.8 or a 2.0 and you can put 1.8 heads on a 2.0

too many things can and has been done to insure what is what 100%

pib
Mueller to the rescue again. smile.gif

From the guys description it *sounds* like they are both dead stock, I just wanted the quick & dirty way to spot them. Is there an obvious way to tell L-Jet from D-jet?

And by the way, what's with all the Mike Mueller impersonators over the past couple days at PP ?
SLITS
L-Jet...'74 and later 1.8....air cleaner is mounted to fender wall on driver's side with a vane air flow meter attached to it. Injectors are blue with a square connector with spring clip...No trigger point connection to distrubutor.

D-Jet (1.7).....round air cleaner is center mounted on engine. '70 - '72 air cleaner is oil bath.....'73 air cleaner is plastic with paper element. Injectors are yellow with a rectangular connector...no spring clip. Distributor has plug on side for connector to trigger points.

D-Jet (2.0)....Rectangular air cleaner mounted to driver's side of engine....TB faces upward at end of air cleaner w/ rubber sleeve providing air transfer. Injectors are like 1.7 but should be green in color. Distributor has trigger point connector.

I am not, nor never was, nor had a desire to be, Muller...
Mueller
1.7/2.0 are D-Jet

1.8 is L-Jet and only avail. in '74/'75...again, both systems can and have been swapped around before.

not sure why the imposters..."I" don't even want to be "me" sometimes, hahahaha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.