Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: converting to a sideshifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
street legal go-kart
I will start to work on the transaxel for Dylans car tonite.
When Mike Mueller gave us the tranny he also included the housing to convert to a side shift.
Anyone have an idea what additional parts I will need to do the conversion?
Anyone done this conversion?

Thx,
JT
byndbad914
You need the correct shifter (that is different), correct linkage and late model engine mount to work with the new linkage.

Just so happens I did that conversion years ago and then recently went to a 930, so whaddaya know, I have all that stuff. If you want to PM me, I would be willing to sell that stuff. I am in SoCal.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 13 2006, 03:47 PM) *

You need the correct shifter (that is different), correct linkage and late model engine mount to work with the new linkage.

Just so happens I did that conversion years ago and then recently went to a 930, so whaddaya know, I have all that stuff. If you want to PM me, I would be willing to sell that stuff. I am in SoCal.

You will need the shift rails from the inside of the tranny, and therefore an assortment of paper gasket/shims to reseal the case/intermediate plate/nose cover. Buy a gasket set. You'll need the fixture and the tool to set the forks in place. You need a way to plug the hole in the tailshifter nose cover when you eliminate the selector shaft. The Cap'n
JoeSharp
Thanks John, you bring up some valid points. You have to get in to the tranny to do this conversion. You also have to change the brackets on the motor mounts behind the fan housing and the motor mounts at the end of the engine mounting cross bar. The shift linkage bushing that you need can be had through Pelican as you need to go from early to late bushings. When it's done tell me if it squieks going into 1st.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Mueller
gee.....I hope I didn't make it sound like it's an easy conversion, I've never done it and knew that it was possible....I'd install the tailshifter for now and then later on down the road gather the parts needed to swap over to a sideshifter (just find a sideshifter instead of converting that tranny)

Chris Pincetich
agree.gif
I'll do the side shift conversion this year, I hope, and plan to get the linkage parts, then get a side-shift trannie, take mine out, compare gears and sliders, take the least worn from each, then put it all back in the side shift case and assemble the new linkage (with new shifter bushings, and if I win the lotto, a Rennshifter!)

Everyone I've talked to agrees the difference between the tail and side shift trannies is like night and day - Waaaaayyyy better. I love driving my tail shift '72, but could never be at all competitve due to the sloppy shifting I have to deal with. I read somewhere on here "it's like stirring mashed potatoes", I agree!

cool.gif
street legal go-kart
Thanks guys,
It sounds like we have everything but thre shift rails and the gasket set.
I think i can borrow the fixture and tool from The Wizard.
I let you all know and maybe take some pics as we progress.

JT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.