Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Autocad Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
My daughter has been using Autocad 2006 Student Version. We are trying to load the full version 2006 but everytime we start it, it reverts back to Student Version. Here are all the things I tried:

Uninstalled Autocad 2006 Student Version
Did a Windows search for any Autocad or Autodesk files and deleted them
Entered regedit and deleted any mention of Autocad or Autodesk
Defragged the hard drive
Restarted computer.

We tried loading it on another computer that didn't ever have the student version on it and it loaded fine. She is now using that for her project, but my wife is now out of a computer. Anyone know how to nuke the student version without formatting the entire drive?
r_towle
You cannot uninstall the program after a failed installation attempt, or you experience a Microsoft® Windows registry issue and receive error messages related to finding the uninstall program.

Solution

Uninstall the program manually using the acad.msi file from the AutoCAD® or AutoCAD LT® CD.

From the Start menu (Windows), choose Programs > Command Prompt to open an MS-DOS window.
Change to the drive where the files from the AutoCAD CD are installed.
Type c:\windows\system\msiexec.exe /x acad.msi at the command prompt.
Restart the computer and reinstall the software.
Note: If Windows is not installed at c:\windows, in step 3 use the folder name where Windows is installed.

drew365
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 13 2006, 07:17 PM) *

You cannot uninstall the program after a failed installation attempt, or you experience a Microsoft® Windows registry issue and receive error messages related to finding the uninstall program.

Solution

Uninstall the program manually using the acad.msi file from the AutoCAD® or AutoCAD LT® CD.

From the Start menu (Windows), choose Programs > Command Prompt to open an MS-DOS window.
Change to the drive where the files from the AutoCAD CD are installed.
Type c:\windows\system\msiexec.exe /x acad.msi at the command prompt.
Restart the computer and reinstall the software.
Note: If Windows is not installed at c:\windows, in step 3 use the folder name where Windows is installed.

Thanks, that's pretty deep water for me, my head started to get light when I went into regedit, but I'll give it a try. I'll report back.
drew365
I put the Autocad cd in the laptop drive
I opened the dos window
changed to the d: drive
typed the command and checked for any mistakes
got: "the system cannot find the path specified"

Windows is definately at c:\windows
d: is definately the cd drive confused24.gif

Just for the record, I didn't have a failed installation persay, the student version always worked fine. We uninstalled it and intalled the full version but when I start the newly installed full version, it says it is the student version and prints all files with "Educational Version" around the edges of the page.
r_towle
you need to locate the license on your hard drive.

It will not say autocad..

I may be in the programfiles/commonfiles

Not sure where Autocad would hide it...but it is not in plain site...

If the copy is legal, write autocad support for the right way to do it..

I read the support page...you are not alone...

There seems to be several tricks to a good install and uninstall of autocad...

Rich
John
just for the record, I didn't have a failed installation persay, the student version always worked fine. We uninstalled it and intalled the full version but when I start the newly installed full version, it says it is the student version and prints all files with "Educational Version" around the edges of the page.

Is this on all drawings or just drawings created and saved with the educational version?

Drawings created with educational only will do that.

I found a workaround to the problem. Save the file to R14 and open it back up in 2000+. Release 14 didn't support that feature so the feature "Educational Version" banners dissappear.

We had some people send us drawings with the "Educational Version" at work and I found my workaround.

If you get the "educational version" printing with the full version installed, call AutoDesk and they will help you to resolve your issue.
drew365
Thanks, I appreciate you trying. Student version is legal, full version not so much. dry.gif
brer
Most license issues are handled under the HELP pulldown.
Select ABOUT.

Buy the software. LT is cheap.
Its worth the money. burnout.gif
drew365
I'll look into the LT version. When we first bought the program from her school they had two choices:
Student Version - $300
Full Version - $6,000
Guess which one I went for. My daughter works with her friend that has the full version and they were having trouble exchanging files, so she came home with a disk from her friend and that's what started this.
MattR
I personally prefer autocad 2000 to the newer versions. If you can find a copy of that, I'll gaurentee its easier to install, and I always found it easier to use. And you can always save drawings in DXF format to solve any compatability issues with different versions of DWG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.