Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Starter woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gr_elvis
Is there a difference in starters from 1.7 1.8 and 2.0 for the 914? My flaps is trying to tell me I need a starter that has no nose cone the gear just sticks out the back on the shaft and when I put that one in it didnt work nor was it anything like The one that came out of the car, So I oredered the one for 2.0 and it looks right but sounds like it is jamiing in the flywheel and staying engaged . Makes a horrible noise. I need to know what to do next HELP!? Please ASAP confused24.gif Thank you ...thank you very much
McMark
No difference. But there is a difference between Bus and 914 starters.
GWN7
I had a FLAPS try and sell me a starter for a automatic 914....it was listed in their system as the right one for the 914......only by cross referencing the numbers did we figure out what was wrong with their listings.....all are the same
kenpolives
Could be the flywheel, broken teeth etc $$$$$$$ hope not
smooth_eddy
Man, if you are going to buy a new starter; Do yourself a favor and buy the mini starter they sell on eBay. I got mine delivered to my door for under a hundred bucks. It's way better and no more hot start problems. It is the Nippondenso gear reduction motor. It just bolts in place of the old one.
SLITS
The starter that most FLAPS try to push is wrong. Their catalogs have been wrong forever. They will tell you that it calls for SR15X / Lester 16450 (Bosch Rebuilt number / Lester Catalog number)..and it is wrong.

The starter you need is a SR17X / Lester 16300, also listed as the "automatic" starter.

You can use and SR68X / Lester 16426 which was fitted to the early 911. It has about twice the horse power.

Correct Starter

On the above page the starter at the top is correct. The next one is NOT.
gr_elvis
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 15 2006, 05:49 AM) *

The starter that most FLAPS try to push is wrong. Their catalogs have been wrong forever. They will tell you that it calls for SR15X / Lester 16450 (Bosch Rebuilt number / Lester Catalog number)..and it is wrong.

The starter you need is a SR17X / Lester 16300, also listed as the "automatic" starter.

You can use and SR68X / Lester 16426 which was fitted to the early 911. It has about twice the horse power.

Correct Starter

On the above page the starter at the top is correct. The next one is NOT.

So.Cal.914
They have done the same thing to me . I finally got smart and took the starter with me and had them match it up. No more problem.. smoke.gif
SLITS
Sorry....linked to wrong page

Correct Page
Tobra
103 bones, for the 911 starter, which has like twice as power as the $60 one. That is a direct bolt on right, just the 1.5 hp version, wonder if Napa or Autozone would have that starter in stock, there are a heck of a lot of aged yuppies around here with old P cars
SLITS
You just have to ask for the right one...the 1.5 kW (911 starter) spins a type 4 real nice.

But for the same price on The 'Bay, you can get one of the japo gear reductions w/ modified nose...lighter, 2 HP and spins the engine like crazy
Trevorg7
Man, if you are going to buy a new starter; Do yourself a favor and buy the mini starter they sell on eBay. I got mine delivered to my door for under a hundred bucks. It's way better and no more hot start problems. It is the Nippondenso gear reduction motor. It just bolts in place of the old one.

I agree. I replaced mine with the same one and it bolted right on and works great.

T
Joe Bob
BTW....no such thing as a NEW 914 starter. They are all rebuilt/renewed and only to the tune of...hey it works.

The SR68X is double the hp and will last longer as it's less of a load with the T4. The ones sold at the local Kragen and Pepe boys come with a free replacment, free tow if stranded but don't cover costs on labor....trust me....they DO fail....early and often.

"I" have two sitting on the shelf that were actually REBUILT using NEW parts at my local shop. Save your cores.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.