Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuning-up an L-jet 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Ok, put in a campu-fire pointless ignition, new wires, plugs, cap, and rotor. I've read up on PP about adjusting timing and it says to set mine at 7 degrees BTDC with vaccum advance unhooked and plugged. The timing is checked at 800-900 rmpm at the idle set point (unlike the 1.7 and 2.0 timing methods). Good air filter.

My plans once I buy a tach today to go with my timing light is to warm the engine up and then:

set the timing
adjust the idle speed--Where is the Idle speed screw?
anything else I should check or adjust?

Also, on an L-jet there is a knob on the front driver's corner of the engine compartment near the air box and relay. What is this knob for? I turned it like a knuckle-head and now I'm not sure where it should be.

Appreciate your help

srb7f
You should have no difficulty setting the timing, it's pretty straight-forward with the PP article.

The idle speed adjuster is a large slotted screw (with a flat head almost the size of a penny) on the throttle body.

Not sure quite what knob you are talking about...got a better picture? The one you posted just looks like it's pointing to one of the latch downs over the air filter.
thewheel69
Stupid questiong but, is the knob you are talking about the nickle sized screw head to keep the cover on the relay board?

I am also trying to fine tune my 1.8 L-Jet... perhaps we can compare notes... I have started to read through the PP article and will let you know how my tuning goes this weekend. Right now I am having two main symptoms; 1. Difficult starting, 2. Engine will run fine up to about 3800 RPM and then start cutting out.

I suspect a fuel issue; either, a. fuel pump not delivering enough fuel, b. fuel filter plugged c. air leaks or d. computer brain box not working right????

Anyone wise enough to help narrow this down?

Thanks!
computers4kids
QUOTE(srb7f @ Apr 14 2006, 08:02 AM) *

Not sure quite what knob you are talking about...got a better picture?

OK...now I feel stupid...upon closer inspection, what looks like an adjusting knob is nothing more than a knob that holds the relay cover on. av-943.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(thewheel69 @ Apr 14 2006, 08:31 AM) *

I am also trying to fine tune my 1.8 L-Jet... perhaps we can compare notes... I have started to read through the PP article and will let you know how my tuning goes this weekend. Right now I am having two main symptoms; 1. Difficult starting, 2. Engine will run fine up to about 3800 RPM and then start cutting out.

I suspect a fuel issue; either, a. fuel pump not delivering enough fuel, b. fuel filter plugged c. air leaks or d. computer brain box not working right????

One of the biggies for an L-Jet is making sure there are no vaccum leaks. The whole system, unlike the D-Jet, works off of vaccum. My L-Jet actually works well, I'm just doing a minor tune-up, not diagnosing a problem...knock-on-wood.

It is also hard to find "technical info" on the L-Jet. I see the manuals for the D-Jet floating around for sale all the time. I did however come across a web site that someone had scanned the the entire L-Jet "how to" book which is about 26 pages. I have two versions saved on my computer. If you like I could send both versions in a compressed folder to you via email, if so, send me your email. They are really helpful. I'll post one page so you get the idea.

thewheel69
This is most helpful. Thanks and please send whatever you think is most applicable. (john.b.foster@gmail.com)
Mueller
QUOTE(thewheel69 @ Apr 14 2006, 09:36 AM) *

This is most helpful. Thanks and please send whatever you think is most applicable. (john.b.foster@gmail.com)

http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/Porsch...and%20L-jet.pdf
computers4kids
QUOTE(thewheel69 @ Apr 14 2006, 09:36 AM) *

Looks like another member sent his link for the D-jet and L-jet FI.
FI Manual

It's different from what I have but looks good. When I get home today, I will send you the other two manuals on the L-jet that I have as well. Most likely--info overload, but at least it's a place to start.

thewheel69
VERY HELPFUL!!!

THANKS! clap56.gif
alpha434
My car has a vacuum leak that I can't find. But the car runs like a bat outa hell. I run the mixture a little too rich too. Helps at high RPMs, but more and more often, I'm staying low. Gas prices are too high. Maybe I'll go out and readjust my timing today....
r_towle
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Apr 14 2006, 02:20 PM) *

My car has a vacuum leak that I can't find. But the car runs like a bat outa hell. I run the mixture a little too rich too. Helps at high RPMs, but more and more often, I'm staying low. Gas prices are too high. Maybe I'll go out and readjust my timing today....

Be methodical.
Look at the plenum and the intake body..
Remove and plug every vacuum line.
Put a new gasket on the oil filler cover.
Put new FI injector seals in.

Now get it idle perfectly with no hoses attached.
Attach one at a time..note the difference...
The idle will go down on an ljet,,,not up (that one concept took me a while...not normal)

You will find it.
Clamp all the vacuum line ends.

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.