Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weird electrical problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
On my civic the last few weeks it's almost like there is not enough electricity getting to the cars systems. It continues to run but sometimes if I do the turn signal or flip on the headlights you will see the speedo drop to 0 or the radio will cut out. I ordered a high power battery for it which should be here next week. I just wonder if I need to replace the alternator as well. I did replace the alternator 3 months ago.

But I almost feel the battery just doesn't hold much juice anymore and that could be the problem...
jsteele22
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 14 2006, 10:00 AM) *

On my civic the last few weeks it's almost like there is not enough electricity getting to the cars systems. It continues to run but sometimes if I do the turn signal or flip on the headlights you will see the speedo drop to 0 or the radio will cut out. I ordered a high power battery for it which should be here next week. I just wonder if I need to replace the alternator as well. I did replace the alternator 3 months ago.

But I almost feel the battery just doesn't hold much juice anymore and that could be the problem...

Not a lot of experience here, but I'd wonder about the voltage regulator. You can check the battery for free at the local parts store; maybe they can check the VR as well ?
turboman808
voltage regul;ator is inside the alternator. I should just go ahead and buy one off the high output models and be done with it.

This is the second alternator in a year. First one lasted 12 years....cheap rebuilt parts.
Joe Bob
Before you start throwing parts at it.....check your ground strap.....

THEN with a FULLY charged battery test at the terminals

12.5 volts MINIMUM @ rest.
13.0 @ idle
13.5-14.5 @ 2500 rpms.

Most shops like Pep Boys, Kragen etc will bench test an alternator....you have to pull it and take it in.
turboman808
Yeah the grounding strap was pretty tore up. I just changed it. Not only is there a titty bar next door but also a parts store laugh.gif

The battery was pretty bad to begin with so I wanted to replace it for a long time. But I hope these will solve the problem. I can't imagine what else it could be???
turboman808
Just noticed sparks jumping from the negative cable to the body. Replaced the cable and hopefully all will be working now. Cable and bolt were really corroded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.