Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 power problem....914 to 3.6 conversions update.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
3.6 conversions update
For those that follow the travails of Mikey.....I had an issue that cropped up out of the blue. Drove me nuts for months....

Turned off the key switch and the engine ran on.....gauges, radio, lights, all accessories were killed but the engine. Popping the clutch killed the motor....leaving it sit for a few days showed no battery drain.

Checks of relays, ig switch and all the other suspects showed no reason why......

I started checking the original conversion install....found the fuel pump and DME were on the same fused circuit. I rerouted the DME to the vacant (on mine) #1 fuse for the fog lights that was fused but not wired on my euro delivery cab.

Problem fixed......I honestly don't know why when it was wired together from the beginning that it worked for years and then suddenly didn't....but it did.

I hate electricity....

So...if using the stock FI on a 3.6 914 conversion....seperate the power inputs for the fuel pump and the DME...
r_towle
Im confused,,,do you have a real car again???

A teener?

Rich
Joe Bob
Funny guy Rich....nope, no 914 as of yet. BAD TUB and Frank need to leave the building before "she that shall be obeyed" will get outta my face about another project.

I'm simply pointing out that anyone who does a 3.6 with FI needs to seperate the fuel pump and DME power.....
East coaster
Thanks for the heads up!
r_towle
given the way that "she who will be obeyed" is right now. the motor I am looking at is the new normally aspirated 3.8 liter...400hp monster...debuting in the new 911...

So, I figure its a swapper in what...ten years...she should have calmed down by then...

Rich
Joe Bob
Yeah in 10 years I may have convinced myself that liquid cooled motors are OK.....we'll see how long they last.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.