Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to convert quattro 6speed to FWD?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_1.8t
So, i'be got a s4 engine and transmission that I would like to put into my teener...anyone here have experience or know how to convert the quattro transmission to just FWD?

What will happen if I just don't connect the rear driveshaft?

I'm reading the suburu transmission thread now...but thought i'd post this to see if anyone has some info on audi boxes.
r_towle
QUOTE(914_1.8t @ Apr 14 2006, 03:04 PM) *

So, i'be got a s4 engine and transmission that I would like to put into my teener...anyone here have experience or know how to convert the quattro transmission to just FWD?

I'm reading the suburu transmission thread now...but thought i'd post this to see if anyone has some info on audi boxes.

Check into the boxter tranny. I think it is the same bolt pattern . It may resolve the issue...

Then sell the quattro stuff.

Rich
914werke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 14 2006, 11:10 AM) *

Check into the boxter tranny. I think it is the same bolt pattern . It may resolve the issue...

Rich

To Me clap56.gif
914_1.8t
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 14 2006, 12:10 PM) *

Rich

This is an option....I'm considering doing this as I know it works.

But i've already got the audi box and know it's a very strong trans...so I'd like to persue this option first. I've also got an audi FWD box..but don't think this will take the kind of power I want to put down.
r_towle
Im so sick I would be thinking about how to modify the rear end setup for the audi...to the some front CV joint style drive shafts...to make the 914 an alll wheel drive...

That would be fun.

Rich
914_1.8t
Just got the answer...you can weld the center differenctial to make it essentially FWD. I've found a guy who's done it and can charges about $200 for the work. I'm dropping it off next week....hopefully it works out good.
Joe Bob
Can't ya use a conversion plate and/or flywheel and just bolt up to the 901/914 trans?

What direction does it turn....you can use a 911/901 trans and get Kennedy to make the conversion parts.
neo914-6
Rich,

Sonu knows the Boxster will mate but found there are advantages to the Audi box:
-Cheaper by 3-4x than 5 speed, and 6-8x than 6 speed
-Output flange mates to 911 CV, Boxster is smaller
-Boxster cable shifter is adaptable with a few mods
-It has the internal speedometer sensor, I will need a toner wheel designed to use the Audi inst. cluster
-some specs state the Audi is a stronger gearbox than the Porsche 5 speed

We aren't certain the stronger Boxster 6 speed will interchange since the starter is in a different location. Jason (silverbullet) has one for his conversion but he using the Porsche engine...

4WD would be cool but the axle is in the wrong direction.
Mueller
QUOTE(! @ Apr 14 2006, 12:56 PM) *

Can't ya use a conversion plate and/or flywheel and just bolt up to the 901/914 trans?

What direction does it turn....you can use a 911/901 trans and get Kennedy to make the conversion parts.

kinda seems like a step backwords....you gotta spend $600 for the conversion parts and you still have a 30 year old 5 speed transmission confused24.gif

The Boxster tranmission I have wieghs I think (I have it measured and written someplace) about 25 or 30 pounds more than a 901/914 transmission, not too bad....
914_1.8t
Mike and Felix hit the nail on the head.

The S4 gearbox is tremedously strong. I know guys of a copule of guys pushing upwards of 600+ hp out of their audis and all have the s4 gearbox. I know 2 of them personally...and I need a transmission that can handle ~500+ hp and at the same time not break the bank. I've seen s4 boxes go for ~$2K. Besides, it's perfect for the 2.7TT/audi engines.

According to some experts that i've spoken with...even in FWD mode, it should be able to handle 500+ hp easily.

From experience I can say that the FWD audi/vw boxes can handle 300-325 hp. I'd think the early boxster transmissions (5spd) are the same, except maybe they have an LSD? Thats the downside to the FWD audi boxes.

And FELIX:
I've found out you can use the s4 flywheel/clutch with FWD audi boxes with no issues. So, I believe the same combo will work with your boxster box. And, I've got a spare FWD box now if you need it.
neo914-6
Too late now, the tranny is mounted! aktion035.gif I got a line on some perf clutches and flywheels from a guy in Utah. He is converting a 5 speed to 6...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.